Taking down a barn

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our old barn (well over 100) has finally rotted off its foundation and has a dangerous tilt. It is all mortise and tenon and peg. A piece of true craftsmanship.

It is beyond repair. The question is how is the safest way to bring this down and salvage as much as possible?

The plan is to build a smaller functional barn and use the massive beams in a new house.

image.jpg

WyoLiving

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would probably start by pulling off the tin roof, but don't take my advice because I am probably wrong. My thought is to get rid of the weight on the top. I will ask my husband if he has any ideas, he is not home right now.

elbesta

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you have the time take it down one board at a time. Get the longest ladder you can find or make one that will run the slop of the roof to the ground then you can remove the tin. You will need something with a boom to remove the beams safely. I built a log house and used a backhoe with a boom attached to the front bucket to raise the logs. If you don't use all the wood you can sell it people will pay good money for old barn wood.

nanne16

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:( too bad the old barn has to be torn down! I agree with elbesta about the barn wood. We had an Amish carpenter build us a bedroom suite out of old oak barnwood! Many people will buy it for sure! You would want to start by tearing down the roof first. Be careful and good luck!