Talk turkey

TurkeyMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey, I'm Jessy! I'm new to turkey raising. I need all the advice.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! :welcome

As to turkeys.... I had the darndest time getting them to eat on their own..... other than that they were "just like chicken", just bigger. :lol:

Do you already have turkeys? If so, what ages and what kinds?

Lizzy733

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ooooo... I really want Turkey.

There's an online listing for bronze hatching eggs in my town for $3.50 each.... Really wanna grab a dozen to put in the incubator. Would have just enough time to hatch them before we move to the farm, but hubby has said no :(

Will probably have to wait till next breeding season.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! :welcome

As to turkeys.... I had the darndest time getting them to eat on their own..... other than that they were "just like chicken", just bigger. :lol:

Do you already have turkeys? If so, what ages and what kinds?
I have no trouble getting turkey poults to eat. Their natural tendency is to peck at things on the ground. Because I live on a sand dune and sand is free for the digging, I use sand for the bedding in my brooder. I sprinkle a 28% protein turkey or game bird starter on the sand. The poults usually start pecking at it and eating eat within 15 minutes of being placed in the brooder.

It can take them a couple of days for them to realize that the stuff in the feeder is the same food. Once they figure out to eat from the feeder, I stop sprinkling the starter on the sand.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ooooo... I really want Turkey.

There's an online listing for bronze hatching eggs in my town for $3.50 each.... Really wanna grab a dozen to put in the incubator. Would have just enough time to hatch them before we move to the farm, but hubby has said no :(

Will probably have to wait till next breeding season.
You will pay less for the poults if you buy live poults instead of buying hatching eggs that get shipped.

Lizzy733

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
M
You will pay less for the poults if you buy live poults instead of buying hatching eggs that get shipped.
Might be a bit different here pricing-wise cause New Zealand and they'd be pickup, not shipped. No, had a rough time shipping Orpington eggs from South island. Had 12 to start with, only 5 made it to lockdown and 3 hatch, then one had a congenital issue and passed at 1 week old. Lots of detached air cells and the eggs themselves were a bit all over the place - big size ranges, uneven shell colouring, even a corrugated egg in there. My other shipped batch didn't fare so bad, 4/10 with two clears.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last edited: