Talking to rocks!

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I got a report that Mr. X's and the nephews dogs, have been bugging the herd when they are at that end of the farm!

So, I went down to talk to Mr. X!
He tells me that his dog NEVER goes past the gate?
He tells me, that his dog can't hurt the cows?
I remind him of all the things that can happen when dogs chase cows.
Oh yea, he knows that!

Then the nephew shows up...
He tells me the dogs only go as far as the one barn?
So I ask, you mean the barn that is PAST the gate?
The nephew says, Oh, yea, well, ya know, the dogs can't hurt the cows?
MR. X, shuts up!
I remind them both of all the things that can happen when the dog chase the cows!
Oh yea, they both know that!

Have you ever felt as though you are talking to rocks?

I'm guessing I should head down there when the herd does and train the dogs in any manner I deem necessary?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If it were here I would say, SSS. Dogs chasing cattle, on their own, is not a good thing.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
The way see it, they have been told!
If I have to do any S'n, they can do the SS'n!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
around here all the neighbors know what happen to dogs that get caught chasing cows or poultry.they get a lead injection fast.an the neighbors know they wont be back home.an if they dont keep the offenders chained or in the house they die.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Mr X and the nephew both know the "law"!
The thing is, if I was to go out and do what needs to be done, they would probably both go out and just bring home another dog and more problems for me.
It seems like no matter what I do, I'm the one stuck dealing with their problems!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well they respect what will happen around here.we havent had to drop to meny dogs over the years here.we put a kill on sight on 1 neighbors dogs.an he knows it so he keeps them in the house.an watches them when they are let out.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
too bad one of the cows doesnt give that dog a good kick. I would vote for a lead injection too, if he is harassing them. boy, people can sure be idiots. :barnie

Little Cow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So far, the few dogs that have dared to enter our pasture are chased off. There are advantages to having horned cattle.

If they get into the horse pasture their fate is much worse. Have you ever seen how a dog hating donkey works? Our very large donkey walks up to the dog nonchalantly, then swiftly bites his back and kneels on him. If the dog is nasty, he tramples them. I stopped him from crushing our dog when the donkey was young. Ever since then, you couldn't get our dogs to go into the horse pasture.

As far as the idiot neighbor, I'd either SSS or call the dogs to you (if they are friendly) and take them to the pound. Dogs here get one chance. If I can call them off the cattle and get them to come to me BEFORE they get the herd worked up, they get a free ride to the pound. If not, then we pick up the rifle. That is, of course, unless one of our girls chases them under a fence yelping before I can even grab the gun.

You get some folks saying to use non-lethal loads. Sorry, Didn't about those in the military. Gotta stick with what you know. ;)

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I come from a military family, and I learned at a young age how to handle a gun and defend myself and my property. I vote SSS too....

Latest posts