TAMUK variety?

HornyToadAcres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have had our California/New Zealand rabbits for almost 5 years, they are in a mostly enclosed building with one wall being hardware cloth and goat panel for protection. We do have fans set to come on automatically if the temp gets above 80 and this along with the fact that the building is under a lot of shade trees so never in direct sun does keep them cool enough. Sometimes I also add pieces of granite slabs to their cages, these are cool for them to lay on - easier than trying to do frozen water bottles. But I have never lost a rabbit to the heat.
Wanted to say hi. I got my first pair of TAMUK in December. Lucked into a lady who got a different color buck and she let me have her proven 2 year old. And a friend contributed a young doe old enough to breed. God is good! They had their first litter last week. Only 5 kits but all are doing well and she is a good momma. Very excited. I also got a trio that are 10 weeks old now. Busy getting infrastructure set up.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wanted to say hi. I got my first pair of TAMUK in December. Lucked into a lady who got a different color buck and she let me have her proven 2 year old. And a friend contributed a young doe old enough to breed. God is good! They had their first litter last week. Only 5 kits but all are doing well and she is a good momma. Very excited. I also got a trio that are 10 weeks old now. Busy getting infrastructure set up.
That sounds great!! I am expecting our first litter with the TAMUK male, Maverick, next week. Excited to see the baby colors. I bred him with my California momma. With our luck though I am guessing she will pick the coldest day of next week to deliver 😁

HornyToadAcres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Will absolutely be the coldest day!
The colors are fun and one (not the main) reason I chose this variety.

131981987_1082387165519961_1937868930535602788_n.jpgPXL_20210124_184545383.jpgreceived_3812627262093448 (1).jpgPXL_20210127_190252984.MP (1).jpg

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, so much for careful research and deliberation. Petted some standard rex and decided I had to have that fur. I'm a sucker. :rolleyes: So I went to a rabbit show this weekend and found a breeder not far from me who raises them in similar conditions to what we have, so... now we have a trio of rexes. It'll be a good while before we have anything to put in the freezer or in a tanning solution, but in the meantime I can pet my soft rabbits and life is good. :love
Where did you find your rex rabbit? I am near Centerville Texas, wondered if it would be close enough for me to purchase one my self.

HornyToadAcres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A Rex fur coat would be the ultimate luxury! Who needs mink? LOL

What colors do the TAMUK rabbits come in?
Nearly unlimited colors because of all the breeds that went into the composite.

Tons of pictures here if you are on FB (wish this breeder had a website).

HornyToadAcres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just sold my first two TAMUK babies oddly enough for pets. I posted a pic on a group and she fell in love. Some breeders don't sell these as pets but they seem very friendly and curious to me. I have told her all I know but they are soft and adorable and she is a serious pet owner (it's replacing pet rats she rescued that died of old age lol).

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
On Sunday my California momma had 7 Tamuk mix babies. They are all black at this point, so curious to see how the fur color looks once they start getting fur. They are all fat and happy. But due to the extreme weather, we decided to move her into our guest bathroom to keep them all warm. we have solar back up here, so when we were without power, we had battery/generator/solar back up for all our things in our house. I also had one new Tamuk doe I just picked up right before the temps dropped in there too. She is now down at the coop, and is doing well. I am looking forward to breeding my two Tamuks in a few months.
20210221_051049.jpg
20210104_074333.jpg
20201209_150512.jpg
20210219_171754.jpg