Tanning Hides -- Yeah my house stinks

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
After getting a doe from a game damaged hunt, I realized that all the hides I have in the freezer and salted in my wash room need to be tanned. So, I have four hides soaking in alum and salt in my downstairs bathroom...

:sick

But, OTOH, if they tan okay, I should have some nice hides.

I have to pull the hide from the stretcher, sand it, moisten it up, and put neatfoot oil on it. Should prove interesting.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would love to see photos, and glad you are salt/alum tanning them. Take some as you go through the steps, and I am very curious to see how it all turns out!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son is interested in brain tanning the deer hides this year...it should be interesting to see if he follows through. I'd love to see your pics of the process as well....I've always wanted to tan our sheep/cow/deer hides and had even frozen hides and bought the alum once upon a time but never got to follow through.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would love to see photos, and glad you are salt/alum tanning them. Take some as you go through the steps, and I am very curious to see how it all turns out!

My son is interested in brain tanning the deer hides this year...it should be interesting to see if he follows through. I'd love to see your pics of the process as well....I've always wanted to tan our sheep/cow/deer hides and had even frozen hides and bought the alum once upon a time but never got to follow through.

I will try, but it will ugly. I have one skin I need to take off the rack and get some sand paper to unrough it. I do have neatfoot oil. So we'll see how it works...

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

We will be brain-tanning all of our fur-bearers and deer this year, so I will let you know how that goes. Not sure if you are interested but I may take photos as well. It would be nice to compare/contrast the different tanning methods

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

We will be brain-tanning all of our fur-bearers and deer this year, so I will let you know how that goes. Not sure if you are interested but I may take photos as well. It would be nice to compare/contrast the different tanning methods

I hear brain tanning is superior. I'd have to buy some extra brains from a butcher to do it. I'm not particularly fond of cracking open skulls. :sick

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score

Most definitely interested!!! The more pics the better! And I will do the same if he follows through and does it...always interesting to see old skills in use and seeing something used that is usually discarded. I hope he goes all the way with it.

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'd love to see photos also! We just got meat rabbits ( first time since childhood ) and i want to tan them as I sell other things I make so seems to be a natural option. Dad never tanned his so this is very new to me. I'll be following your page bc I want to learn as much as I can!

Latest posts