Tanning Hides

CCourson05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Alright... I want to know how... Anyone?

Please do not forward me to another site. I've looked at countless sites. I want someone to tell me what they do. I'd prefer not to have to buy anything from a taxidermist site. I'd rather use simple to find ingredients.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When you find out how, can you come help my son do his rabbit hides? We purchased the tanning solution from Cabelas in an orange bottle, I have talked to a lot of small hobby tanners that use this product. But sadly I never got to helping my son tan his hides, Still on our to-do-list.

lil'turkeyma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm still trying to learn more myself.I can do a raw-hide cure on deer and rabbits.I want to learn how to make furs from my skins.You know,fur on,soft flexible skins.To do a raw-hide,which for deer makes a nice wall hanging or stiff rug,or a rabbits makes a nice area to display arrowheads or whatever.I use rabbit skins in display cases for arrowheads,jewerly and such.Anyway,to do one I just clean/flesh/scrape all the meat/fat off the back side and then wash it in dish detergent.Rinse well and stretch lightly and tack/nail to a barn wall or such.I will salt mine while they are still laying on the table I cleaned them on.Let the salt sit for a day or two to help it start drying before I tack them up.A rabbit is very easy to do like that and does last pretty well.They are thin and will tear easily after drying.You need to take care of a hide just like you do the meat.Get it cool and clean as soon as you can.Cool first and fast.I have been looking into brain tanning and did bookmark a site somewhere.Should be a more natural way to do it without all those nasty chemicals.If I ever get one done like that I'll post details.Good luck and keep us posted.:)

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
i just found this not too long ago: http://www.ssrsi.org/Onsite/bunny.htm
i am going to try it with a groundhog hide. :p then i have a nice big buck hide that i'd love to do.
hoping i can do lots of animal hides this way. especially rabbits once i get into them.
good luck!

kenfromMaine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi ohiogoatgirl,
Was wondering if you tried that, and how they came out? It seems pretty simple. Anything you might change?
Thanks
ken from maine

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I used a book called, "Home Tanning and Leathercraft simplified" and followed their recipes...every single hide came out. Well, the deer could have been softer but that was more my doing than a failure on the instruction's part. (I thought I'd worked it enough).

I made 'foot' stools, gun racks out of deer feet, tanned a few buns, a deer, our pet skunk when he died, and a raccoon. It was one of those, "OK, I can say I did it." things, like making butter. Just wanted to prove I could but have no desire to do it any more.

eta, book must be out of print, I can't find it anywhere online....bought at a farm store 20 yrs ago or so.