Tanning Hides

stitchcounting

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i killed my first animal some weeks ago, a rabbit. tanning or persevering his hide now.
I poured a can of salt on his skin after taking any fat and skin off the pelt.
three days later(today) washed the salt off with some soap and salted again this time i didn't stretch it. tacs i used made rust stains
according to a brother in church that grew up in the dominican rebuplic, they salt and clean off the salt with alcohol of goat pelts for drums.
i will try the egg yolk method. beat enough eggs to cover the skin and let that sink in over night to a day and clean with alcohol and water.

i haven't finish the pelt yet so this is just me sharing MY RESEARCH not EXPERIENCE.

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I've got 2 sheep pelts and 6 rabbit pelts tanning right now. Tomorrow I'll be oiling and working them. I'm using a kit that came with the acid and tanning agent I needed. I like the safety acid it comes with because I don't need to worry about accidentally splashing it or the dog getting a lick. So far my pHs have been spot on the the hides are looking good.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've got 2 sheep pelts and 6 rabbit pelts tanning right now. Tomorrow I'll be oiling and working them. I'm using a kit that came with the acid and tanning agent I needed. I like the safety acid it comes with because I don't need to worry about accidentally splashing it or the dog getting a lick. So far my pHs have been spot on the the hides are looking good.

what kit did you use?

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
The rittel "ewe-tan-it" kit from TASCO. I've used another of their kits ages ago and liked them so I decided to just the kit again instead of buying the chemicals individually since I don't regularly have stuff to tan. It's been just enough for what I needed to tan.

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've had this one in the back of my mind , from earlier this year. It's By Paul Bowerman .I was doing some serching one day and found this video. I haven't learned how to transfer stuff yet, So perhaps someone Could it .I just typed in (goat hide tanning ) and then the search.Then loged on to ;#1 let a hick show you how to tan a goat hide with out harsh chemicals.....:thumbsup So basic , So earthy.

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Has anyone tried any of these procedures ??

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Latest posts