Tarps!

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baymule, please let me know about the brown & silver.
These are a heavier duty version of the blue tarp. Light vs. Heavy duty.
I've bought tarps from Billboardvinyls and have been pleased so far.
I've never bought one but had a billboard worker give me one. It worked great until I finally lost it. Much heavier duty than a normal tarp.

As far as tying one up I ALWAYS take the corners and tie them in a knot then wrap the wire/rope around the knot, not through the grommet. I've seen them rip apart on the first good wind.
I picked up that trick from someone in Nebraska where a 40 mph wind was common. It would even hold up when working on tanks 80' in the air. Although that's not much different than ground level wind in NE. :lol:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Buy heavy duty tarps, not the trash blue ones. They're expensive, but should last years if they do not flop around & there's no sagging or sharp bits poking them.

The billboard tarps work. But if they flop in winter, they'll fall apart. They get very brittle and gross in the cold.

Is this for shade or stopping water?
If shade, real shade cloths last many years. Again, no flopping, pooling or sharp bits allowed. And they come in different % of shading.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tie the corners in a knot! Thanks for that!
An advantage to working with many, many people over the years. I can get some of those useful tidbits from all walks of life. Kinda like being on here. I'm not smart but seem that way sometimes.
Also If you want REAL protection, you can put 2 ends (the entire top and bottom or sides) in between 2 boards. It stops a lot tearing but it's more for a permanent situation, or a really needed winter solution to something that needs protection all winter.