Tarps!

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For ages, I’d bought plastic tarps that lasted several years at a time. The last 4-5 years, it seems every plastic tarp I buy decomposes in the sunlight within a couple months, and blows plastic shreds all over my vegetable garden! A real PiA to try to get up, and gets into everything!
Does anyone know a brand or company that still makes decent tarps that last more than a couple months? I only need a 6x8, but dang, I hate for it to evaporate so fast!

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What about a canvas painters tarp? Polyurethane it both sides?
I thought if that, Baymule - but the thought of lugging all that weight over my head when I’m old and working alone, bums me out. The plastic tarps weren’t too heavy for me working solo, but it seems they make these newer models “biodegradable” and they’re useless crap in a couple months’ time. Grouchy old me - “They chant ‘recycle-reuse’ but how can I reuse it when it’s a pile of shreds halfway through the growing-season? It doesn’t even last long enough for ONE use!” What this one I need is used for - I have a lean-to arbor I grow my pole-beans on. But before the beans get to “overhead” I put a tarp up top to shade my resting-seat, and I noticed the young vines tend to grow towards overhead cover - suppose the plants think there’s sturdier support up there. I take it down and store it when vines get shoulder high. But last year the bloomin’ tarp frazzled in the sun before they where 4-ft tall!

Attachments

• 9EFCD92E-4491-444F-AD1B-C40E790D75AE.jpeg
    9EFCD92E-4491-444F-AD1B-C40E790D75AE.jpeg
    706.9 KB · Views: 89

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about that grow cloth... reemay.

It lasts for forever... if you just need it for some shade blocking... it would fit the bill.

It lasts for forever, sun doesn't degrade it, it is LIGHT, so east to work with. No, I don't think it comes as wide as you want.. but you could double it up just fine.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use those tarps over the round bales. They sure don’t last long!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Which ones? The tarps @wolf Was talking about? Or the reemay?
The blue tarps. I buy those to go over the round bales. I buy the brown on one side, silver on the other side for hoop hut shelters for the sheep. I just started using those, so the jury is still out of them.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The blue tarps. I buy those to go over the round bales. I buy the brown on one side, silver on the other side for hoop hut shelters for the sheep. I just started using those, so the jury is still out of them.
Baymule, please let me know about the brown & silver. I’ve seen giant silver ones the larger farms use to cover rows of round-bales in a storage yard - but those are way too big.
I’ve thought of shade-cloth - there’s a “greenhousemegastore” online that I can get 70% Aluminet ordered exactly for size for $30. That would do for shade, but wouldn’t save me from a sudden shower. Been using the 8x6 blue tarps for ages, and only recent years been having them blow apart with a month of sunlight. It's like they’re only made to keep rain off a stack of lumber until the structure is built - then it’s crap.
Alaska: remay - have used that in greenhouse before - lets filtered light and water through while keeping out bugs. Get’s nappy and picks up straw with time, and doesn’t save me from a sudden shower.
I’ll keep looking… weigh all options.

Last edited:

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've bought tarps from Billboardvinyls and have been pleased so far.
They don't always come with grommets .. so you have to think about how you're using them & how you'll secure them. I used a small one several years ago (3 maybe?) over a cattle panel to make a hoop house for my chickens and it's still holding up perfectly.

Capture.JPG