Tasty Acres Homestead (From 2020 jump to 2023)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure hope y'all can get done what is needed before the weather does start up that way.....I know there is much to do, but the high priorities would be better and more comfortable to accomplish without the wind and snow. Sure glad the family is doing well.....with 200 chicks, there'll be a whole lot of Peeping going on....and one heck of a large Brooder....:)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pictures from around!
Wow TAH! Thanks for the update! You really have had a lot going on. I look forward to seeing your photos.

You mentioned school. I can't remember . . . are you being home schooled? Or are you getting settled into a new school? What grade are you in now?
Well, I am homeshooled but mom joined all me and my siblings up with "idea" which is a co-op kinda.... And Mrs Deb our teacher helps us daily with learning.

I am on ninth grade, but from the looks of it I can graduate at age 17. Yay.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure hope y'all can get done what is needed before the weather does start up that way.....I know there is much to do, but the high priorities would be better and more comfortable to accomplish without the wind and snow. Sure glad the family is doing well.....with 200 chicks, there'll be a whole lot of Peeping going on....and one heck of a large Brooder....:)
Me too.... Thankfully we have the cabin till spring if need be.

Yeah, I am excited about the chicks..... There is already a brooder..... Now getting the barn done so it can hold 200 full grown birds.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mom has needed my help and I so far haven't been able to get pictures but here is a picture of one of my favorite hens.
20171019_145036.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! Good dog Boaz.

Yep, splitting wood so you can stay warm and fixing the barn roof sure are important. Seems like "dismantle 5 sheds" could go on the "later" list. What is the reason that would need to be on the "top 10"?
And the 200 chicks??? You want to get them now?? Wouldn't spring be a better time?

Reactions: TAH

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mom has needed my help and I so far haven't been able to get pictures but here is a picture of one of my favorite hens.
View attachment 39484
GORGEOUS photo of your chicken! Awesome effect with the black background, behind her head! That is
very difficult to accomplish successfully. :clap

Bruce may have a good point about 200 chicks. Have y'all raised that many chicks, at one time, before? In sub-zero temperatures? That's a LOT of chicks to raise, unless you have large enough, predator proof housing. The other concern is trying to raise 200 chicks your first Winter in Alaska. That's a lot of birds to try to keep watered & fed in possible sub-zero temperatures. Unless you have electricity running to the barn, keeping the water from freezing could be a huge challenge, with that many birds.

I admire your parents, for selling down in the mainland and moving your whole large family and all those goats, to Alaska. That takes a lot of courage & brains to pull it off. So, they may have it all figured out.

However, if y'all have never raised as many goats as you have (I can't remember how many - just that its lots), and 200 chicks in Alaska, I would caution y'all to live through one Winter, and learn all the challenges, before buying that many chicks. There is nothing wrong with doing, say 50, to get a feel for helping them survive the brutal Alaskan Winters. I'm sure y'all will have plenty of work to keep busy and productive through this first Winter there.

The reason I am cautioning you, is that, when we moved to Texas, we took it slow, for the first year and were glad we did. We used to live up North (in PA and MN) so living in Texas was new to us & we had to take time to learn to work with new challenges.

Ninth grade huh? My grandson is in 9th grade. That's great that your mother was able to work out a deal, so you can homeschool. Depending on how isolated y'all are, being able to homeschool is a great way to deal with being snowed in, out in the wilderness.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! Good dog Boaz.

Yep, splitting wood so you can stay warm and fixing the barn roof sure are important. Seems like "dismantle 5 sheds" could go on the "later" list. What is the reason that would need to be on the "top 10"?
And the 200 chicks??? You want to get them now?? Wouldn't spring be a better time?
Yes he is.

From what dad explained, here in AK they charge you tax for any buildings on the property..... So since these buildings are about to collapse they are not going to stay around..... They charge anywhere from 1500-4000 per building.

On the chickens, this coming spring tourist season starts and we have 4 restaurants that want to get eggs from us.... And 200 would do it..... But we may just end up with 100.

@Devonviolet we have almost everything in place for that many....

My parents have lived here for 20 years and since moving back winters have gotten better.

Sadly we weren't able to bring the goats up. But we found them a good home all together.

Yeah, it sure hasn't been a easy thing to move here but it has been the most rewarding experience even with all the trouble.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder what you would have to charge for the eggs to pay for all the winter feed when they aren't laying (and the restaurants don't need that many eggs anyway. I think you have some "ciphering" to do ;)

$1,500-$4,000 tax PER BUILDING?? That is beyond highway robbery!!!!!!! OK, since they are already falling down, push them over with the tractor and deal with the mess in the spring :D