Tattooing didn't work, need help

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So I tattooed my goats last night, I rolled on the ink, did the actual tattooing, then rolled on more ink. Today there are no marks at all. What did I do wrong? One of them was a tail web, so there wasn't any hair, and the one that had her ears tattooed, I shaved her ears, so her hair wasn't a problem. The ink was from Hoeggers, and I used a rabbit tattoo kit, which was recommended by other goat people.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Where did you put the tattoo? My goats don't have hair on the inside of their ears?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
It's recommended that you use an old toothbrush and "scrub" the ink in to make sure it's really worked into the holes.

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I did scrub the ink into the holes. I tried it again last night, and pinched much harder, I had to peel the skin of my Munchie's tail off the pliers, and today there is no mark at all.

I'm wondering if the ink is to thick and greasy? I bought the roll on ink from Hoeggers. Has anyone had problems with it?

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how hard you squeeze the pliers. The tattoo is formed by the ink filling the holes, made by the pins, in the ear/ tail. You ink the ear/tail first then squeeze the pliers into the ink pool. Then you add more ink to the ear and push it into the holes with your finger or a toothbrush as prevously stated. You need to make sure all the holes are filled with ink because this is the ink that will remain to form the tattoo, after the ear/tail heals on the surface. It usually takes me 5-10 minutes to tattoo an ear, making sure enough ink is pressed into the holes. If the tattoo site bleeds it can take longer because the blood flow pushes the ink out of the holes while you are trying to push it back into them. Everytime you tattoo the skin should stick on the number/letter pins. Retattooing, generally, doesn't give you a crisp clear tattoo because you will never, never get the pins to hit the same holes...A bad stamp from a number is usually only fixed with a syringe filled with ink and a short, large gauge needle...take it from me Its Not A Fun Job, to retouch a tattoo with a syringe, that is.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Are the ears black? Try holding a flashlight to the back of the ear and see if you can see the tattoo.