Tattooing ears

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Two of my herd that I purchased from a local breeder weren't tattooed when I got them. The other 3 were. I have their pedigrees in hand, so I decided I need to do the tatts myself. Got one of the plier style things, and tried to do it with my daughter's help....

To say they didn't turn out well is an understatement. They both jumped 3 feet straight in the air out of the towel we had them wrapped in, out of my daughter's arms, absolutely screaming, and the ink didn't take to the tattoo even with scrubbing it in hard in the area. So I bought a. Kbtatt pen.

I found some aloe with lidocaine for sun burns, wiped their ears with that first, gave it a few minutes, and the first rabbit went well. She didn't twitch or jerk until I went over the numbers a second time, and not bad then either. The second one did the same process, and he was twitching, jerking, trying to jump, just all out struggling even though I left the aloe on the same amount of time. Had them wrapped in towels with a towel over the face as well, after reading someone's account of putting them in their side and kind of pinning them worked, but he was 10 times worse then the doe. I don't know what was different or if the girl was just more pain tolerant, but it was a fun time holding onto the buck. Any other tricks I can use for tattooing next time?

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Make sure you're not hitting a vein.
Ice it before.
You have to go over it a few times to get the ink in there.
Find some old jeans, tie off the foot opening. drop the rabbit in and push it back into a ball, find the head and mark. cut a slit big enough for the ear only. put rabbit back in and tie the jeans up to close it on the other end. pull ear out and tuck the rabbit ball between your legs. rest ear on your leg and ice then tattoo.
Or you can buy fabric bags that have a drawstring closure. make sure the bag is small enough the rabbit has to be balled up. only pull the ear out. but with the tie, you may be able to leave the head out and one ear, tie bag closed around the neck and ear, leaving just enough room that you aren't strangling it. fur makes them seem thicker than they are, like cat necks, they're rail thin!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't find my picture of a bagged rabbit. But found the box people make.
wv50w5YgaR.jpg

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I like the box, but even that looks like the rabbit would be able to jerk their heads around a bit. Granted they couldn't jump thru the roof in that!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like to use a maximum strength oral pain relief gel - it's 20% benzocaine, and I think it may be more effective at numbing the area. Also ice - even using an ice cube as a back plate when using the needle. But yeah, I think some rabbits are just more stoical than others; I've had some that just barely grunt and others that scream with what as nearly as I can tell is the same amount of preparation.:hu

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I like to use a maximum strength oral pain relief gel - it's 20% benzocaine, and I think it may be more effective at numbing the area. Also ice - even using an ice cube as a back plate when using the needle. But yeah, I think some rabbits are just more stoical than others; I've had some that just barely grunt and others that scream with what as nearly as I can tell is the same amount of preparation.:hu

I searched everywhere for our Oragel, but couldn't find it (possibly tossed during our move). We had at one time both baby and adult oragel, but both are now gone/lost. Of course I didn't want to leave the house to go get more, especially since the nearest store is about 30 min away... We're out there. LOL. But we can definitely pick some up, will be a while before I have to worry about the babies to tattoo.