teat dip recipe please

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
hello! i had a recipe for teat dip written down but i lost it... :( i know it used a squirt of regular blue dawn dish soap but i don't know the rest. anyone have a recipe?
thanks!

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thanks alot! :D
i dont know why i couldnt find it... :rolleyes:

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I use the one on www.fiascofarm.com but I reduce it and make it up fresh each milking. I use one drop of soap, 1/2 Tblsp Clorox, and 1 cup water.
Same here but since I have 1 milk goat I use 1/4 c water, 1 t Clorax and a little tiny drop of Dawn.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use warm soapy water with GSE in it. No harsh chemicals for me. My hand washing soap is Bio-Kleen's hand and dish soap. Because I keep a clean pen and yard I feel this is fine. If I had a dirty nasty yard then I would be more concerned about bacteria.

After milking I use an iodine solution, but thinking about changing that around. I have some friends who used an disinfecting essential oil solution that was very gentle yet cleansing. My girls really don't like the iodine, I think it stings them.

kid'n'kaboodle

Just born
Reaction score
I know this post is not terribly recent, but I went through this quandry last year. I felt dish soap and bleach were not only irritating to the skin, but many dish soaps, including Dawn, contain formaldehyde. Chlorine is just plain toxic even at dilute concentrations, especially when combined with other substances like dish soap. :(

I have used peroxide and water with a small amount of bentonite clay and a few drops of lavendar essential oil as an udder wash. For a teat dip I use peroxide and water so the solution is .5% peroxide.

Kala

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
CrownofThornsNDGoats said:
I use warm soapy water with GSE in it. No harsh chemicals for me. My hand washing soap is Bio-Kleen's hand and dish soap. Because I keep a clean pen and yard I feel this is fine. If I had a dirty nasty yard then I would be more concerned about bacteria.

After milking I use an iodine solution, but thinking about changing that around. I have some friends who used an disinfecting essential oil solution that was very gentle yet cleansing. My girls really don't like the iodine, I think it stings them.
What's GSE exactly?

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
grapefruit seed extract? :hu I wondered the same thing...