Teat Talk

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of the winning does at the fair, Mulan, has kind of bulbous teats. I had never seen that on a Nigerian Dwarf before, just on some standards. Anyone have experience with this in a Nigie? Is it good, bad, or indifferent? Are they that way naturally or do they get that way for some reason? What does that shape score in LA?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
From the ADGA Linear Appraisal Program-
"Teat diameter is evaluated as the diameter of the teat at its base where it meets the udder, as viewed from the rear. Both delineation of the teat from the udder and ease of milking are reflected in the evaluation of teat diameter. A very narrow teat, ½” or less in diameter, is assigned 5 or less points; a teat that is intermediate in diameter (1-1/2”) is assigned 25 points; and a teat that is very wider (2-1/2”) or more in diameter, is assigned 45 or more points. A difference of ½” in teat diameter, plus or minus, results in a difference of 10 points."

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
From the ADGA Linear Appraisal Program-
"Teat diameter is evaluated as the diameter of the teat at its base where it meets the udder, as viewed from the rear. Both delineation of the teat from the udder and ease of milking are reflected in the evaluation of teat diameter. A very narrow teat, ½” or less in diameter, is assigned 5 or less points; a teat that is intermediate in diameter (1-1/2”) is assigned 25 points; and a teat that is very wider (2-1/2”) or more in diameter, is assigned 45 or more points. A difference of ½” in teat diameter, plus or minus, results in a difference of 10 points."
Thanks for the info, @Southern by choice. I've looked at some of the LA charts and sometimes the increase in points doesn't always correlate with increasingly desirable traits. (easy to see with the scoring of rear legs, side view) So in the case of teat diameter, shape, is bigger always better? or is there a middle ideal? Has anyone experienced milking a Nigerian with bulbous teats? Small, thin, teats are definitely a disadvantage and you hear about that a lot.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think in the Show ring the shape you mention the answer is "indifferent"
I think and GW can probably correct if I am wrong teats are only 4pts of the 35 pts available on mammary and you get 2 pts for having 2 teats :)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep :)

I'll add more later, when I can. I didn't think the doe had bulbous teats, it looked like she was a hard working doe though.

BTW- I meant to come over and say hi! Just got busy and never made my way over.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmm. Didn't take a close look at her, hut I saw her in the ring Sunday. I didn't realize her teats were as it looks in the pics.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like I said that shape if it makes a difference it is a small difference
They are nice diameter
Placed properly on udder floor

Udder is 35 pts
Teats are 4 pts
Lets dock her a half point :)

Look at the capacity
Look at the rear attachment
I saw the fore udder

Udder capacity isn't everything we have certainly seen that and benefited from it
Zamia and Clarabelle have won over goats with greater capacity because there is also general appearance, dairy strength , and body capacity

But that doe wasn't lacking in any of those areas and outclassed everyone in capacity