Tell me abou tthe paint gene

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is it just me or do their pasterns look swollen?

They are cute, I bet they'll really be something when they finish shedding out and get alittle shine going! I don't see any pinto, but they are really adorable! And I love the name!

Stauffer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
if you really want to learn about equine color genetics--www.equine-color.info and go to the forums there. A host of wonderful, friendly, knowledgeable people on equine color genetics :)

One pattern I seen left off in the pinto patterns is dominant white. Many max. white sabinos are in fact Dominant White--GQ Santana is a fairly well known QH who was DW (his parents were pretty basic chestnuts, with the small face and leg markings, but they had to carry DW in there, so it was and can be pretty hidden)

You can also have near solid looking horses with maybe a blue speck in their eye carrying Frame Overo...that blue speck might be the only thing on them that suggests that they have frame, no markings or anything else (this is seen a lot in miniatures I believe)

Same with horses that might have a sock and a snip and star...and a blue eye..they could be frame, they could be very minimal splash white.

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The farrier came out and trimmed her hooves. He says with age and a good diet her feet should correct themselves.

I am not into breeding and all that I just find it interesting. :)
I will have fun looking over that other website. Thanks.

Stauffer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i love equine color genetics (I go by TheRedHayflinger over there)...and I don't breed. My first, last and only foal was out of a mare that I bought that was already 7 months along when I bought her. I wouldn't mind having a mule baby out of either of my girls, but I doubt it'll happen...lol

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Has the vet been out to see her yet? You really should. She seems to have had malnutrition issues in the past, and may very well be seriously wormy, and there is for sure something wrong with all four pasterns (it may be due to malnutrition, and it may or may not be reasonably correctable).

A significant 'rescue' like this is more complicated to take care of at first than yer generic 'I just bought a horse'. You need to be careful and informed about feeding adn worming (I don't mean informed in general, I mean informed about the horse's specific current state so you can tailor your program to *that*), so as not to make her problems worse.

She may become rideable eventually, if there is not too serious joint damage in the pastern joints there, but she is so young and in such rough shape that it'll be a year or two before you'd even want to CONTEMPLATE that. And until and unless you get to the point of wanting her trained to ride, it totally does not matter whether you have English or Western people working with her ;)

Really, a vet would be a good idea. So you can provide the best conditions for her to get back on track and grow as healthy and strong as possible.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes I am trying to set up a time for a vet to come out.

I bought Triple Crown Growth for her to get started. She was dewormed before coming here. Do I really need to do it again? I thought it was every 6 months.

She will get more care from me than she would if the neighbors kept her. They are putting her yearling sister on light exercise pellets the same they give their 8 year old mustang stud.

I am into getting her ride-able. I know it will take a lot of time. She is only 8 months!
I also have found a trainer.
So I know I am on the right track.

Oh and someone offered me a free 5 year old QH mare. She is extremely thin. I have to pass but someone else I know has offered to take her.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
crazyland said:
She was dewormed before coming here. Do I really need to do it again? I thought it was every 6 months.

She is only 8 months!
The advice I have heard on worming horses is: Once per month until they are 12 months old; and once every 2 months after that. Some wormers are effective against a wide variety of parasites, but no one wormer is effective against them all. Because of this, it is a good idea to use different classes of wormers - not just different brand names, but products with different modes of action - in your worming program.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How often, and how, to worm is a whole "can o' worms" in itself -- but typically one would either run regular fecals and worm as needed, or worm every 2 months (possibly skipping midwinter in a very cold climate).

However, when a horse has been rescued and is in rough shape, you often need to handle things somewhat differently. Realio trulio. It can be necessary to worm more stringently for a while, to deal with high encysted worm populations in the horse, and yet you don't want to kill everything off at once as that can be hard on the horse. Consult a vet, honest.

Ditto with feeding.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts