Tell me abou tthe paint gene

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I dewormed her yesterday. I didn't think about the flavor until afterwards. She doesn't like apples!
I tried to give her an apple slice as a treat before and she spit it out. But I didn't think about that when I picked up the dewormer.

But why did you think she looked wormy?
The ragged look is because she still has some of her winter coat. It is coming out nicely with all the warm weather and regular grooming.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
crazyland said:
I dewormed her yesterday. I didn't think about the flavor until afterwards. She doesn't like apples!
I tried to give her an apple slice as a treat before and she spit it out. But I didn't think about that when I picked up the dewormer.
Don't worry about it, nearly all horses loathe wormer, no matter what "flavor" it is :p

What did you worm her *with*? If it was apple flavored it was probably one of the -benzadoles? An argument can be made for using them as a 'first cut' on a horse with a high worm load but they are not a good wormer otherwise, as they don't 'get' very much.

But why did you think she looked wormy?
She has clearly had some significant malnutrition in her past (sunken pits over her eyes in such a young horse; poor development for her age; malformation of the pasterns; etc). Malnourished horses *always* have a very high worm load, for several reasons.

Pat

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It is on the schedule for the month. It starts with a P.
We decided to do a mild dewormer before hitting her with some ivermectin so as not to possibly overload her system.

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have one of those year schedules here in front of me and it looks like you gave her Pyrantel Pamoate. They come in apple flavor.

She looks like a cutie! Hopefully with some time she'll come around and be a nice horse for you. I would get her legs checked out though. The swelling is a bit concerning (Although anything leg-wise on horses is always a concern for me LOL) Hopefully it's just from malnutrition more than anything else and it will be an easy fix, but it's always better to be safe than sorry!

When you bring her home, make sure you do lots of ground work with her! That's what we have been doing with our 3 year old. Since you have such a long time before you can actually get her trained to ride, it leaves lots of time for ground work. And groundwork can be fun for both the horse and owner...it doesn't just have to be boring stuff! :) Once she gains back the weight she needs to, I would get her used to all sorts of scary things. That's another thing we've been working on with our girl and she's really come a long way. Definitely helps to cut down the number of things that can go wrong (Like spooking!) when training a young horse to ride!

Good luck with her and have fun. Feel free to ask questions because I know I had a ton when we bought our two year old last year. This is a good group to question!

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OK. :)
Someone needs to point out the swelling to me and a picture of normal to compare it too.

And yes that is what I gave her.

I have been working her a lot on lead. Making her turn tight circles. stopping and going. She doesn't like to walk on rocks so we walk up and down the driveway. During quiet hours we walk up onto the road and turn back around so she gets used to the change and also the sound of the road. I walk her in tall grass that tickles her belly. I also have a ditch on my property that we practice with. We do a lot of boring stuff. lol I have some roofing I am going to bring out next time. and am going to try and find some tin and a tarp. She doesn't react to my birds, rabbits or the dogs.

I am going to start reading up on Perelli and Anderson to see what I prefer for training styles and what I can use to adapt for us.
I lost the number for the trainer so I have to call the farrier back for his number.

the funny farm6615

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
were both of her parents paint? if so then she is what we call a breeding stock paint. you can breed the 2 most colorful paints in the world and get a solid baby, but breed that baby to a paint and you will get the best color!

and for her color, she looks like tobiano. but if you want to breed her do not breed her to an overo, on the chance that she does carry the overo gene! overo to overo will produce a leathel white! and the foal will die a painful death. we found this out the hard way about 15 years ago with our first breeding stock paint mare, she had no papers to check, and we quessed wrong.

if you dont want to breed her then it wont matter, but keep it in your mind- you may change your mind in 3-4 years.

and for her pasterns, they do look swollen in the picture. you will definetly want to have it checked.

as far as worming goes, i always worm a new horse before it gets off the trailer no mattter when the owner said it was last wormed! and she has a bit of a pot belly. that is a sign of worms it could be a hay belly, but i wouldnt take the chance. i worm march, june, sept, dec, and jan. and use different kinds, they can get an imunity if you just use one kind.
i also dust for creepy crawlys first thing too. you never know and it is better to be safe than sorry!! you can get something at your local farm store or, go to walmart and get some 7 dust and put it on thick along the mane and base of tail. i guess all the rescues in the past have made me pranoid, but you never know.

good luck and remember to give her lots of love! that is the easy part:)

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is an update thread on her.
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4846

I did her second dose of deworming today. She is such a mellow girl. Starting to work on lunging. Have a long way to go on that. She would rather follow me around in circles.

I have had the farrier out twice for trimmings. Just not comfortable doing that myself.

ksmith

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If I am correct I believe "Paint" refers to a Quarter Horse with white above the legs. "Pinto" is any breed of horse with the color charistics of a "Paint".

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Have to speak up here, to say that lunging is not a good idea for young horses. Going in circles tends to stress the legs and muscles, bones are still soft. Yes I know folks have been doing it for years, but it is not a good practice for the horse.

You are better off with your taking horse for walks, going in straight lines, so she is moving balanced, even on both sides.

I am coming from the Farrier side, we see lots of damage done with lunging young animals, putting them in exercise programs. Their soft bones and tissue is not made to actually work at such young ages. Shows up later in the horse life of being used, but often as quite young animals, 5-6-7 years. They start having "issues" that need dealing with by Vet.

Most lunging is done in small circles, putting severe bend in horse body, not done correctly, so you make horse carry themselves wrong while going around. All bad things for the horse. Especially bad if horse already has leg issues with puffy fetlocks going on. You need to know what is causing the fetlock problem, make the changes needed to get them fixed pretty quick.

Legs of a horse should appear to be hard, muscled tightly. Nothing soft about them, on a good legged horse. Puffy places mean problems, stressed or sore, so you then fix the issue and make puffy go away if possible.

Photos of horse make her look "unthrifty" with long hair still on. Bit of a pot belly, no muscle over her back area, rump. At this later season of the year, grass to nibble, food you are providing, she is still rough looking. We all start with the good worming you have started. Worms steal her nutrients for good hair, adding flesh to the body in muscle. Since most of us have dealt with horses that look like your filly, found the problem to be worms, that is where we are advising you to start too. With two wormings in her, take a fecal sample in to the vet for evaluation. I would make my next wormer an Ivermectin type, to try cleaning her out. And I would continue with a monthly wormer of varying chemicals, until she is looking slick and putting on meat to look like the athlete she will be. Don't want her fat and porky, but muscular, with a hint of ribs when she bends, to not overload her young bones. Keep repeating "She is NOT a meat animal" when faced with the porky yearling photos of show horses. Again, you are building an athlete, so you don't overload her body, young bones at this age and for a couple more years.

Latest posts