Tell me about navel ill. Which antibiotic?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I've given thousands of shots to all kinds of animals and I've never hit a vein on accident (only when I was giving IV meds! :p) and I've never had a bad reaction (like anaphylaxis). Don't worry, just do it. :)

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We just started with the IM injections just above the back leg armpit in the big part of the leg. I am tired of having abcesses, especially from CD & T.\

We just took Annie to the vet to have 2 abcesses lanced. I JUST KNEW IT WAS CL. It was injection site abcesses.

We used a l/2 inch needle and stuck it straight in and went for it. And we stuck it in that nasty tempered rescue goat who is pregnant, she's so hateful, I'll never know how she got that way.

DonnaBelle

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
20kidsonhill said:
If you are worried about all the veins, give it in her/his bottom instead of the neck, in the fleshy part of the leg.
So do you to give it IM instead of subQ?

And I'll have to check in my fridge downstairs, but I'm pretty sure I ordered just plain ordinary Pen G from jefferslivestock. I'll have to go look.
yes, IM, I just find that big thick chunk of muscle on the back leg in the the inner thigh area, and stab it into there. LIke the doctor says, bend over and then a jab. Yah, like that. I have a tendency to go up a little too high towards the top of the leg,and my husband fusses at me and says I need to be down lower and make sure I get it in the fleshy inner part of the leg. Does that make sense???

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well he survived his first PenG injection. Only 13 more to go. :rolleyes: It was harder on me than it was on him. 18g needles seem very big to me.

My heads spinning from all the contradictory info out there on how to give the injection. No matter what way you want to give it there's an article out there saying do NOT give it that way.

The bottle says ONLY give it IM. GoatWisdom (I think it was that one, I read several so I could be wrong) says they don't recommend giving it IM, only subQ. Or give an initial dose IM then all the others SubQ. Or if you give it IM be sure to use a different spot each time. What? 14 doses? How do I give that in a different spot each time? And of course watch out you don't paralyze your goat by giving it in the wrong spot and my personal favorite: "Remember Penicillins can be fatal if injected into the bloodstream".

I'm officially afraid of my goat. All 13 pounds of him.

Anyway, he made it through his 1cc dose. I'm already dreading giving it to him tonight. I'm planning 1cc 2x daily for 7 days, sound about right? I'll try to post a pic of his belly later. It looks like he's got a half a golf ball under the belly button. I cleaned it well and saturated the whole area with Iodine 7%. How often should I reapply the iodine?

Good news? I took his temp - no fever, 103* on the dot. And also good news (sorta?!) is that as soon as I put the thermometer in he pooped - on his own. Looks like the silver lining is that at least for today I can skip the enema.

Goats.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, I just grab them up and what ever end is sticking out and what ever side is the handiest is where I stick the needle. IM is better if you want the drug to work fast. If you are sick and need a antibiotic shot, the doctor isn't going to give it to you sub-q.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Yep. I've been poking goats in the butt (IM shots) for YEARS...then I joined here and found out I was doing it 'wrong'...
Since it has been working well for us for 12+ years, I didn't see any reason to change things now. I continue to just jab and go on to the next one.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I give vaccines in back legs sometimes, but I prefer the neck. If you want to sell market animals you should avoid giving shots in legs because it causes blemishes in the meat.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I'm one of those "SQ for Pen G" people :p. For some reason I have no problem giving Pen G IM to a horse, but a baby goat (which is all I use Pen G on)...dunno...just not enough muscle/too much squirming for me to do a blood check, push the med, and feel good about not having just mainlined the dose.

The good news is, and LOL at Roll...there is no wrong way to dose Pen G except IV. All of the delivery methods work.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Oh, and want to hear how I learned to give injections? I was probably 11 yrs old and in 4-H, and the livestock lady had us practice on oranges. Wipe with alcohol, then just jab. She did tell us to pull back on the plunger to look for blood, but that's about it. :p So if 11 yr olds can do it with instructions like that, surely YOU can do it, O7W! :lol:

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I bet it is easier with some breeds than others, Those big meaty boer kids have plenty of back leg muscle.

Latest posts