Tell me your vaccine schedule

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am curious about the different schedules based on different areas of the country.

For example: Someone up north would be more apt to giving a pneumonia shot than someone in the south, where as someone in the south would be more apt to worry about worm load.

Tell me, what do you vaccinate for and why? Is it relative to what's common in your area? When do you vaccinate? I know typically most on this forum, from what I have noticed, give the CDT 30 days prior to kidding and then a booster following to both does and kids. Who treats for pneumonia? Who treats for coccidiosis? Who treats for tetanus separate?

Thank you!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We do CD/T shots, we started coccidiosis preventive this year with Toltrazuril and will be giving pneumonia shots as well. We run fecals and treat individual goats as needed- working on this right now.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My plan, as this will be my first kidding season, is to do CD/T 30 days before and booster. The person I got my most recent kids from used Toltrazuril for coccidia so I am now looking into that. I would prefer to avoid medicated feed.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We do the normal CDT schedule. Dam gets a booster 30 days before kidding, kids get 2 boosters after they are born. First at 3-4 weeks and 3-4 weeks after that. Does do not need another dose after kidding. I try to keep it at 1 CDT/year if possible.
Bucks get it once a year as well. I might re-vaccinate an UTD goat if her/she has been on a drylot and then suddenly turned onto lush pasture/forage and vice versa.

We haven't had a problem with pneumonia, but will probably start giving it because we are/will be showing.

For cocci we use Baycox and Di-methox for a preventative and treatment. We will be considering the use of a medicated feed because its difficult to weigh 25+ kids every few weeks and individually dose.

I don't give any anti-toxin unless its needed and the animal is presenting signs of the illness OR if my vet (& I) think it should be used. I try to avoid it unless its necessary.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I suppose I should have put what we do as well!

Does get CD&T 30(ish) days before kidding. Does/juniors that aren't bred are vaccinated in March. Kids get 2 boosters, same schedule as GW.

This will be the first year we vaccinate for Pasteurella/pneumonia. Normally we would treat with Nuflor if necessary, but, going to try something different this year. It's supposed to be a wet and cold spring and I would like to prevent it.

Last year we fed medicated feed, but this year we plan on trying a different preventative method. I think I ordered Baycox with my last order, I'd have to go look.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had never heard of anyone up here giving pneumonia vaccinations... Now I have to research why not. Or maybe people are and I just don't know about it!

25 kids is a lot of kids. I will be breeding 2 does this year (unless my littler mini grows a lot before breeding season ends!) ... So the workload is in no way comparable! I would feed medicated too!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I suppose I should have put what we do as well!

Does get CD&T 30(ish) days before kidding. Does/juniors that aren't bred are vaccinated in March. Kids get 2 boosters, same schedule as GW.

This will be the first year we vaccinate for Pasteurella/pneumonia. Normally we would treat with Nuflor if necessary, but, going to try something different this year. It's supposed to be a wet and cold spring and I would like to prevent it.

Last year we fed medicated feed, but this year we plan on trying a different preventative method. I think I ordered Baycox with my last order, I'd have to go look.
Well duh (I said to myself)
Forgot to add, does that aren't bred still get a CDT yearly. Totally forgot to add that :p

I've used Nuflor and oxytetracycline to treat respiratory issues. I try to save the Nuflor for life or death situations.

Had a goat here that nearly died of pneumonia… thought he wasn't going to make it honestly. He was acting slightly off and within 1.5 hours he was down on the ground, not moving, and hardly breathing. Within 45 minutes of having the Nuflor injection (sub q too!) he could lift his head and breathe better.

Went through heck with that goat. He had come in from another farm and kinda had the odds stacked against him. It was a chain of events and was just one thing after another. I'm amazed that he survived.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@NH homesteader if we bred all our does this year we could have over 50 kids :eek:

I think we have 10-12 does bred, the average is 2 kids per doe, but some of those have a potential to have 3-5 kids in a litter.