Temorary Pony Halters?

StevensFarmGirl

Just born
Reaction score
Does anyone have a way to make a TEMPORARY bailing twine pony halter? I need one just in case for leading/grooming my pony after her halter is washed (still wet). I can't use it while it's wet (obvious reasons) and I can never find a good time to wash her halter when she isn't going to be lead or groomed. her currant halter is nylon and takes probably 12 hours to fully dry. any suggestions on a temporary halter? If you think this is a bad idea please tell me and let me know why.

Any suggestions would be wonderfull! thank you! :)

"God must have a sense of humor because he created ME!" ~ My pastor at Faith In Action

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does she really need one while in the pasture or her stall?

I would take the halter in the evening, wash it and let it dry overnight.

My horse doesn't wear a halter in the pasture. The pony only began wearing one recently because at the boarding stable, the owner put her in with the minis and she chases the minis at feeding time, so she has to be tethered until the minis finish their grain.

And no, we've tried putting her in with big horses but she BITES and chases them. It's quite funny watching 15-16hh Friesian mare, Hanoverian mare, Paints and TWH's running away from a 12hh Welsh Mountain pony!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Feed stores have those $2 or $3 plastic rope halters. They come in all sorts of colors. We've used them on horses at the petting farm I worked at back in October when there were no other halters to use.

StevensFarmGirl

Just born
Reaction score
michickenwrangler said:
Does she really need one while in the pasture or her stall?

I would take the halter in the evening, wash it and let it dry overnight.

My horse doesn't wear a halter in the pasture. The pony only began wearing one recently because at the boarding stable, the owner put her in with the minis and she chases the minis at feeding time, so she has to be tethered until the minis finish their grain.

And no, we've tried putting her in with big horses but she BITES and chases them. It's quite funny watching 15-16hh Friesian mare, Hanoverian mare, Paints and TWH's running away from a 12hh Welsh Mountain pony!
No, she doesn't need one on 24/7 basis, but because the halter takes so long to dry, even if i bring it in at night, it still won't be dry enough to use it in the morning.

Rofl yeah, it's kinda hard to imagine such big horses running from a pony lol it would be like our sheep chasing my pony haha..

StevensFarmGirl

Just born
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
Feed stores have those $2 or $3 plastic rope halters. They come in all sorts of colors. We've used them on horses at the petting farm I worked at back in October when there were no other halters to use.
Thanks! I'll look around for some. Our TSC doesn't have anything like that, just $20 adjustable all-stock ones but there is a small nearby tack store that might have something. :D

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Tie a loop in the end of a baling twine, pass loop over nose, put twine up around back of ears and pass through loop on other side of the face. Instant halter.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
I would strongly advise NOT using these slip type halters on any equine, horse, pony, mini or donkey. Equines tend to
fight when the rope tightens and DOES NOT loosen. These kind of halters are designed for goats, sheep, cattle, who respond
VERY DIFFERENTLY, along with usually being LOTS SMALLER in weight if they should try to fight the pull of tight rope.

Lead line length is also VERY short on these, less than 4ft in most cases, so a sudden pull can easily get run right thru
your hand, along with leaving a bad rope burn from being plastic of some sort.

It would be very easy to turn a nice equine into a halter fighter by tying it with a slip type halter as shown in the links.
Then someone, horse or human is going to get hurt badly. Most equines DO NOT give to pressure without a lot
of training. They may forget their training if surprised with this type halter clamping down on them under the jaw and
behind the ears when getting a pull from it. You HAVE to use a finger to loosen these slip halters after tightening them
on your sheep or goats, maybe the cow. They DO NOT release by themselves, which is why they are bad for equines.
No reward to the equine for coming forward.

CritterZone

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out why you can't use the halter when it is wet? And why your halter needs to be washed on what seems to be a regular basis?