Temorary Pony Halters?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't see any good reasons not to use wet halters for leading and short term. Some horses wear their halters 24/5, rain or shine, and they are fine.

currycomb1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i have halters that are over 10 yrs old, still clean, never had to wash, because are only on the horse while leading or tieing for grooming. it is taken off when riding, so even if the horse sweats, the halter is not there to get grubby. the constant washing will shorten the life span of the halter. never leave a nylon halter on in the pasture. it can blister the sensitive face area, not to mention kill the horse if it gets the halter caught on a fence post, a tree, or even their own hind leg while scratching their face because the halter itches. if it is hard to catch, and old leather halter that will break under pressure is a better option

Canadiannee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't understand the need to let a nylon halter dry before putting it on a horse/pony just to lead them or groom them... unless of course you're living in freezing cold temps and you don't want to put a hard stiff piece of ice ladened nylon webbing or leather on your equine babes head while you're waiting on his/her halter to dry.... BUT... we all do things differently, lol, cause we're human AND horse (animal) people, and thus if you have approximately 15 feet of rope laying around, you can always knot yourself a temporary rope halter for your pony using the two video links I've pasted below... you'll have to measure your little guys head and use your measurements to tie your knots, as the measurements given in these clips are for full size horses... (horses general need 22 to 25 ft of rope)

Now having said that... any rope you have laying around, unless it's 1/4" with a 1200lb or higher load would just be a temporary measure for leading and grooming, I wouldn't be working a horse on a lunge line with anything less than a quality grade rope... (TSC sells the poly rope)

We have a whole tack room full of nylon and leather halters, but it's very rare that we use them (except for trailering)... our horses go out to paddock and pastures "naked", and when they're being led, groomed, tied or worked, they're in rope halters... Although this is not relevent to the poster's question - we also leave rope halters under their bridles with their lead ropes attached in a calvary knot around their necks while trail riding... If "nature calls" on a long ride, or want to sit on a log and enjoy lunch, we can safely tie our equine treasures to a tree by their halter and lead rope...

These are about the best two videos I could find this morning on tying a rope halter... we tie ours a little differently with two extra water knots on the nose band because we also start our young horses riding in rope halters teaching them pressure and release before a bit'ing them.... again, not relevent to the posters question, but maybe useful to anyone reading this thread in the future who hasn't used a rope halter before, or wants to know how to tie one. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMcX3ZQM9n4 (Part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXvKYjx68P4 (Part 2)

Also noted; I just noticed this woman has created a very detailed tutorial video for making lead ropes using the splicing method for any of you DIYer's out there.

StevensFarmGirl

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies! Where I live it gets very cold in the winter and even in the early spring. I do sometimes leave the halter on her in the pasture because she is an escape artist and likes to run around and tease me when she does get out. But I just need a temporary halter just for tying her up to groom her (she does stand nicely for me) is all I need but it takes me a while to groom her thick winter coat so I don't want an ice-cold halter on my pony's face (Just me I guess) it it were summer, I wouldn't really care if it was still wet because it'd be warm but in the winter, it gets windy and very cold. I understand washing a nylon halter to much will shorten the life span but like I said, she usually wears it in pasture so it gets dirty and the mud will rub her face and cause abrasions. I also know that having a halter on her while she is in the pasture is dangerous for the horse, but all of the pastures can be seen from the house so if anything happens I'll see her.