Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are going to bring the main herd in to start checking them out and we have a few lambs that need their shots.

One of the Oops ram lambs is turning out really nice. I love his calm personality plus he is showing some good signs of growing out very well. We were planning on taking him to the sale but decided to go ahead and list him as a commercial ram and see how that goes for him.
Nice ram lamb!!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping that our ram Oshi and I have come to an arrangement about managing space around each other. He of course likes to see what kind of treat that I have in the bucket that I take out to them but he insisted in getting in my space which I won't tolerate again. For a couple of days I had a broken step-in post that I took in the paddock when I was taking out feed. When he crowded me, he got the post up under his nose and it only took a couple of days for him to leave the gate and wander over to the trough where I put the feed. Considering how little he has been handled, I'm happy that he reacts like I want him to but he hit me hard enough the last time that I will make the effort to not let it happen again.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You got your hands full with this one. He’s smart and will learn Mike’s way of doing things, but you will always have to keep a watch on him. It doesn’t sound like he’s mean, just a ram. He’s not out to get you, but he’s a ram.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's hard to take an adult animal like that and "retrain" to a totally different routine. Add to that as @Baymule said, he is a ram.... As long as he isn't mean, and you both let him know the boundaries, and still give him positive attention, you should both come to some sort of compromise. You haven't had him all that long either... it could take a year or 2 before he fully "get's it".... but at least you have made progress and that is pretty good for a ram that was used in a capacity as a breeder only... not in a "family closeup and personal" situation like you have.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the 8 ewes finally got tired of holding her lambs in and our 93 ewe had twins about an hour ago. I don't usually mess with the lambs for several hours so I haven't sexed but they both look to be on the small side and right at 6 lbs each.

I like to add a couple of details in these posts so when I forget to write something down, I can come back to the posts for reference. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went into town this morning to pick up a little something for Teresa's birthday Thursday and on a whim stopped into Wendy's for a sandwich. They weren't doing lunch yet so I ordered a #7 combo which I had no idea what it was. I didn't check the nutrition but I'm pretty sure I got my quota for cholesterol for the month in that thing which turned out to be a Baconater. I never had one before and probably won't again but it was downright tasty.

We brought a half dozen ewes in to pull fecals and check their weights and our schedule is tied up enough this week that we will do a few sheep every day until we get everything done with them.

On a side note, property prices are still ridiculously high here in spite of values crashing all over the place. We have a friend that bought 25 acres three years ago. She demolished an old house on the place, it had a decent sized pole barn and had it all fenced/cross fenced for livestock (including goats and sheep). She sold it last month for $250K

Last edited:

Latest posts