Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you should keep Ringo and get another ram to breed to his daughters. He just sounds too good to give up.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Good thought Bay! Since you need to have a "ram only" area so you can plan breeding times. Wouldn't hurt probably to have another to share the breeding responsibilities. Then if the new boy does better for you than Ringo, you can always let Ringo go.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo will be around for at least another season. I really like having a ram as big as he is that I don't have to worry about. I have talked to Tavalin Farms already about getting one of their ram yearlings later this summer. Ringo is giving me the size I am looking for and the bit of color is a plus.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was out working with Thor and grabbed some random pictures while I was out there. One is of some of the lambs and their mommas grazing on the levy of our normally dry pond that is over flowing.

The ugly duckling ewe is my favorite girl. She should be culled as she has terrible confirmation, is a lot smaller than our end goal but she throws beautiful twin lambs and has the personality of a puppy dog as you can see from her standing on my boots. 122 is the one in front and behind her is my other spoiled girl (55) who was the only ewe that needed an assist last lambing season.

The last are my babies. Thor is going to be a giant and can appear on the ferocious side but seems to love our short training sessions and time in the paddocks. I found out fairly quick that this pup is a good teacher if I let him be what he was bred to be. Maisy is my girl but this big boy is special and so different than any dog I have ever had.

11 Feb 2018 lambs onthe bank.jpg
11 Feb 2018 122_2.jpg
11 Feb 2018 122.jpg
11 Feb 2018 Maisy & Thor_2.jpg
11 Feb 2018 Maisy & Thor.jpg

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great Pics Mike!!....the ewe could be thin cause she gives it all to the lambs....Love Thor's tail....almost like a scorpion and waiting to Sting....:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
No pictures this time but I saw a side of my white dogs that I had not seen until today. I take their food out and use the time after eating for a bit of training but being there lets the dogs eat without having to worry about the other dog. Ringo our ram decided to be stupid today for some reason as he usually gives the dogs a wide berth when they are eating. But today he made a bee line for Maisy's bowl and Maisy lit into him. He lunged sideways which unfortunately put him almost on top of Thor's bowl. Thor doesn't bite the sheep but makes some hellacious noise and wraps those long legs around him. Of course that made Ringo jump away again but this jump put him on a direct hit for me. I didn't even see it happen but both dogs shot into the gap between me and Ringo and went at him. No blood was drawn and it was mostly noise but Ringo took his big behind to the other side of the pasture.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't you love it! Good dogs! Sure glad they kept Ringo off of a collision course with you - probably wouldn't have done your shoulder any good.

I've had Cowboy get between me and the pigs and he wasn't even kidding! Pigs weren't out to do harm, but if I yell at them to get away he takes that as his cue to back me up!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm seeing more of that response out of Gabbie, but she readily does it more with Joyce than with me. Glad there wasn't any damage to any of the participants....especially you!!....and I know it sure gives ya confidence if a really serious situation was being faced....I'll be sure to act like a whipped pup when I make it over there....:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know everyone is getting tired of lamb pictures so I'm only posting a few.

I finally got the latest pictures off of the phone. The ewe lamb weighed just shy of 8 lbs and the ram lamb was 10.2. They all have some light brown spots on them and I'm curious if they will fade or not since they are unique.
12 Feb 2018 AL7  & ewe lamb TN22.jpg
12 Feb 2018 AL7 & rem lamb TN23.jpg
12 Feb 2018 AL7 & ram lamb TN23.jpg

Latest posts