Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since I've been here, I have never seen someone ask that another stop posting pics cause they were tired of looking at one's animals....young, old, and all in between.....:lol:
If ya get tired of posting them here, just click on over and post em in my journal....I'll never complain....:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had another ewe deliver another single ram lamb during the night. Our cull list is growing.

Maisy and Thor got into while I was down there feeding them and is that a scary sight. It's mostly noise and no snapping but those big mouths are clamping down on each other. My instinct is to try to get them to stop but I know that isn't going to happen. At first I thought it was a resource guarding issue with me being the resource but I see them doing the same thing when they are out by themselves.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess the dominance thing is being worked out now...sure hope it is settled without any injuries to you or them. Congratulations on the ram, but know it isn't what ya was really looking for.....:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The newest lamb ram weighed 11.5 pounds. We spent some time moving the sheep around and Teresa just took some random shots. The one I'm giving food to is another picture of my girl 122. I don't see how she can hold off much longer.

The picture that shows the trailer with the tarps over it is the trailer that got totaled during the tornado last year. We managed to straighten the frame enough to move it around the farm but it will never see the highway again. It holds exactly 50 bales of alfalfa though so it has been re-purposed.

The sheep see me coming down the hill toward the shop and if I'm not careful they will be inside it as soon as I open the door.

The shot with Teresa is her holding the newest lamb ram and it's mom. She is actually very flighty but really trusting around us when we handle her lambs. She has had singles 2 years in a row but I'll give her one more shot since I really like her size and build. She does throw big lambs even though all singles so far.

The picture with the girls feeding under the tarp is something we added to the back of the shop stall this afternoon. It gives us another space for them to get out of the weather but close enough to the shop for us to be able to work with new lambs. The shop stall is the place they know treats are waiting so it's easy to get them in.

13 Feb Mike & 122.jpg
13 Feb 2018 Alfalfa storage.jpg
13 Feb 2018 at the shop eating.jpg
13 Feb 2018 t & tn24.jpg
13 Feb 2018 under the tarp.jpg
13 Feb 2018 lambs jumping.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you starting to cull for ewes that twin? I have a mix of both, was so excited to have any lambs at all, that I kept all the ewe lambs. But I am going to move in the same direction as you.

Our dogs have their fits too, but it is never anything serious.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Those poor dogs... relegated to the back field and sitting anxiously by the fence staring up at all their charges... people and sheep alike. mI'm sure they're happy that at least ONE momma sheep w/lambs is headed back down in their direction. I just noticed that lone young tree down there. Look as if they've pushed on at least one of those T posts a bit. As always, nice pics!