Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK all this Thai food talk!! I guess we have to go to the Thai place in town, it is small but recommended. I've never eaten Thai food so I don't even know what would be on the menu. Of course we would have to go without DD2, she doesn't like food she hasn't had before. I'm not sure how she managed to decide she likes sushi or takoyaki - made for her by her host parents when she was in Japan for a semester. Guess she felt obligated to try it.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK all this Thai food talk!! I guess we have to go to the Thai place in town, it is small but recommended. I've never eaten Thai food so I don't even know what would be on the menu. Of course we would have to go without DD2, she doesn't like food she hasn't had before. I'm not sure how she managed to decide she likes sushi or takoyaki - made for her by her host parents when she was in Japan for a semester. Guess she felt obligated to try it.

I can’t believe she went to Japan for a semester without thinking the traditional cuisine there is ideal! Lol

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score

You need to try it. That has been my favorite food for a long time.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't remember a lot about m Thai, Taiwanese or S. Korean culinary experiences except for a couple of things. In Korat Thailand, I went to an indoor movie theater and right before the main attraction and (lengthy) introduction and National anthem, everyone went to the snack bar..no popcorn or US type candy. The favorite it seemed was dried octopus in little saran wrap bags. I tried a bite from my date's bag. Pretty chewy, very salty, (I assume to encourage soft drink sales) and a very unpleasant odor, which permeated the whole theater. (I cannot adequately describe the odor on this family oriented board).

The open air markets of both Taipei and Korat right after sundown presented sights, sounds and odors that last a lifetime and not at all unpleasant.
The ones in Pusan Korea and the P.I. likewise, but for opposite reasons. In both, there was foul smelling 'water' running along the curbs and in small ditches that smelled a lot like sewage and one had to be careful to step over the ditches where they crossed the pavement. In Pusan, there were skinned, beheaded meaty things hanging up everywhere that looked a lot like little humans...... and pretty sure much of the chopped, cubed, chunked meat I saw in big pans would have been someone's LGD in this country.
I did try a burger in Taipei that I was told afterwards was partially monkey meat. It was kinda dry and left a tallowy film in the roof of my mouth, but was good otherwise. (I had been out of the US for nearly a year and wanted to enjoy a hamburger again)

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very interesting. I enjoy hearing about experiences. Personally, I have no interest in traveling/visiting Asia. (I realize that you were stationed there.) I’m one of those that feels there’s plenty to see/experience in the US. I’ll just stay here. Would like to visit Canada again though and if I traveled across an ocean, wouldn’t mind see some of Europe. That’s the extent though.

Latest posts