Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw a lot of energy in Thor's face while his mouth was watering for a tidbit of Lucy....
IMAG3664.jpg ....there isn't any need to allow those parasites just grow and multiply to infect others....smart decision.....I haven't sown mine yet, but hoping to get to it this next week....with this heat here, it may get delayed again....:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know how many like okra but we eat it at least once and depending on how much we are picking, often twice a week so we save recipes as we come across a winner. I didn't not where this one came from so I can't give credit but it is simple and is always a hit, even for many that say they don't care for okra. We already have more in the freezer than we can eat between now and next summer so I keep adding to my recipe file since we have found this is one thing the chickens are not crazy about.

I only start about a dozen plants but selective pruning through the summer has the plants constantly adding new growth and fruit. I picked almost a basket full this morning out of our okra bed and the main branches are pushing 7' tall.

Roasted Okra
Ingredients
  • 1 pound okra, rinsed and dried
  • 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons thyme (I use powder rather than fresh)
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • ground pepper, to taste
  • pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450°.
  2. Trim the okra then cut the okra in half, lengthwise.
  3. Place okra in a large bowl. Add oil and spices and stir to coat the okra halves.
  4. Place okra on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, shaking or stirring the okra at least twice during the roasting time. You’ll know the okra is ready when it’s lightly browned and tender.
  5. Serve hot

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Mom likes okra, so I may print out the recipe to give her. If its not too much trouble, could Teresa have you post her recipe for those tasty taters y'all made? I remember the olive oil and garlic, but dont remember the rest. I wanted to make some the other day but couldnt remember all the ingrediants. Those were really good!

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Mom likes okra, so I may print out the recipe to give her. If its not too much trouble, could Teresa have you post her recipe for those tasty taters y'all made? I remember the olive oil and garlic, but dont remember the rest. I wanted to make some the other day but couldnt remember all the ingrediants. Those were really good!

Did you take pics of those delicious taters? :p

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you guys will like those roasted and the same way works on the grill. The fried okra we had is a Paula Dean recipe.

The potatoes are simple also (like most things we do) - Cut the potatoes up, place in a bowl and add some minced garlic, salt and pepper then shake to make sure they are all covered with the spice/oil mixture.

Spread out in a single layer on a pan and bake at 375 till done or crank it up to 425 once they are done to add some crispy.

I like to add a little garlic powder, paprika and cayenne when it is just us but since we didn't know the tastes of y'all that were visiting we keep it neutral. :)

I don't think the taters were photogenic so don't know if they got in any of the pictures. :)

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score

Latest posts