Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope it didn't scar him for life ;)
Huh? What would scar him for life? His family was VERY poor. His father walked from Killen to TVA in Florence every day for months, asking to go to work and they finally hired him. Then they moved to Florence. It was another time, hard to comprehend now, when even the poor have so much in comparison.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The shock of easy living with running water AND electricity at the same time! Almost enough to stop one's heart. ;)

I think this place probably got electricity in the 50's based on the type of wire and some original light fixtures. I believe the drilled well was done in '79. There was a dug well close to the back of the house that the construction guys discovered when digging to replace the stone foundation under the north building. There was a pipe so presumably they had pressure water from that.

P5010048.JPG
Sadly it was so close to the back of the house, they had to fill it in. REALLY wish it had been 10' farther out. Someone did a remarkable job of building that, hated to see it destroyed.

But the guy who lives next door grew up here, he said they sometimes had to go out to the concrete cistern in the field to get water ... in the winter. Bet they were REAL happy when the drilled well went in. I'm guessing he was < 10 at the time.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
We really do live in a young country, don't we? My Dad remembers the hand pump in the kitchen sink getting replaced with modern plumbing as well as the bathroom built on and outhouse replaced. They got their first tv too that year, all in 1950! Exciting year.

In my lifetime, we upgraded styles of tvs, added video games, microwaves, switched from a bathtub to a shower, computers, cell phones, internet, cable and satelite, now fiber optics, and the list goes on...

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were not poor but the area we lived in was just starting to get the latest conveniences in the mid 60's. New construction houses had all of the 'normal' things that would be expected. The family I lived with while I was in High School owned a pool hall and bar but that store had an out house until 1968.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got the rye grass seed broadcast and raked yesterday and also seeded some Fescue broadcast and raked in another paddock so we're hoping we will get some of that rain that seems to be skirting right around us.

We are still getting a fair amount of tomatoes and the sweet peppers are still putting on fruit that we will leave on the vine until just before we get our first frost. We are getting a pound or two of okra every few day that we are slicing and then freezing in vacuum bags. We have almost twice as much as we need so we will probably break some out soon and can some okra and tomatoes.

I had one big branch of okra that I left on for my seed for next season.

We had comfort food tonight. Teresa made some fried port tenderloin sandwiches with a side of home french fried potatoes and sweet potatoes. :)

22 Sep 2018 okra.JPG
22 Sep 2018 pork tenderloin.JPG