Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sassy and Lance doing their all time favorite thing = Ball Tug. They keep the door they are playing in front of in need of touch up paint. It would be easy enough to not let them do it but they have fun doing it and we enjoy watching them. They will pull their way over to the couch we sit on to make sure everyone is included in the game. :)
View attachment 54482
Polly and Parker used to play that game with a stick, bone or whatever they had. Parker taught it to Trip after Polly was gone.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spiders are difficult to kill with a residual, because they do not clean theirselves as other insects do and contact is the better way to control them.....I think I saw a small blue ball by a paw.....;)..... @Bruce it may be slimy, but it is sooo worth it, because they Love it....and a towel or soap and water for the hands isn't too far away, but Joyce uses nitrile gloves....:)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't regularly spray pesticides around or in our house but we have come upon 3 Black Widow spiders in the last few days and we did more spraying than we have since we bought our place. I have REALLY bad reactions to those things so everything that could be sprayed in the shed, shop, hay barn and house got sprayed.

Mike years ago we lived on a property that was overrun with Black Widows.
I had little ones at 2 years old they could tell me "Bak Widdo" - they were on the kids forts, playsets, shutters, porch... EVERYWHERE. Thankfully NOT in the house!
I had the exterminators out but the property was big...
I have a video of one that lived behind the shutter and there was a baby blue skink... the Black Widow came out bit it, the skink struggled for a bit and the spider drug it back behind the shutter!
I got the whole think on video. LOL real Video as in cassettes. My neighbor had no Black widows but had Copperheads and I mean NESTS of copperheads.

One time one of my boys (he had to be 3-4) very smart and very independent... was in the kitchen and went to a cabinet and grabbed a tupperware.
"Watcha doing with that?"
"I need it for something"
Hmmm.. ok.. as he heads out to the garage.
Didn't think much as we had kids stuff and pool table in the garage.- it was right off the kitchen...
Kid comes back in and says "I got a recluse"
HEART DROP! :eek::eek::eek:
"What?! Um, you don't ever do that ... "as we head back to the garage
He interrupts.
"They are dangerous, so I caught it."
Yep, that boy put that tupperware right over the top and trapped a brown recluse. :th

He seemed rather insulted that I would think he wouldn't know how to be safe.:\:rolleyes:
I guess all the nature books of spiders and snakes and critters paid off. Amazing what young ones can retain. Of course we raised all kinds of critters and they were taught early about poisonous things and non poisonous. I really didn't want them being fearful of stuff but smart about stuff.

I loathe spiders. My BIL put his glove on that was in the barn as he went to feed the horses. Black Widow was in the clove and bit him. The pain was horrible- he did go to ER and they gave him some potent pain meds.

Love the dogs playing with the ball. :love

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been raining here since the middle of last night but we did get our black lamb cull off to the auction. She is a sweetie and I hated to see her go but she is too hard to keep healthy. We ran a fecal on her to make sure we were not sending away a problem for somebody else but the worm load was way down so the dry lot finished her up. She had put all of the weight back on that she had lost and was filled out nice.

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was going to make some Shish kabobs for dinner on the grill but I wimped out when the temperature started dropping this morning and the north winds picked up. So the shish kabobs became a slow cooker meal that was sort of a waste of a tenderloin but it sure was tasty.

Pork tenderloin with pineapple.JPG