Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa has been known to post here when she wants. :)

I have had to baby Ringo the last few days. For the first time since we had him he has been stand offish but he was also part of the group that had hooves done last week. He hasn't needed any work in two years but this constant rain has changed that. His hooves still weren't bad but he holds a grudge when he feels he has been abused. We gave him a Nuflor shot so that probably didn't help his attitude but the first day after the handling, he wouldn't come in the shelter for the morning feeding. I took it to him so I guess that was like room service. After that he was fine and has been coming in like always so he must have forgiven me and will come for an Animal Cracker. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got back from the fishing trip about a half hour ago but I think I need to think of a different name for this trip. I was pretty sure we were probably going to have issues when I got to the lake and my cousin was messing with the boat trying to get it started. It finally did crank but I seriously considered coming back early this morning when he mentioned that he had not used the boat since last April "but it always does good". We got in the water around 8:00 and made a 60 mph run across the lake along with the 25 degree temps and fortunately I had knew enough to wear several layers. The fish weren't biting for the first half hour or so but when they started hitting, they hit hard. Cousin started up the trolling motor only to find that it would only run in reverse which made maneuvering in the tree tops not completely submerged impossible. We loaded the boat and took the trolling motor apart to see if it was anything obvious but saw nothing. He made some calls but none of his good contacts were open so it became obvious that nothing was going to get done until Mondy. By this time it was 12:30 in the afternoon and he mentioned there was a college basketball tournament on so we could do that. I thought about it for two seconds and decided to head home. :)

It was nice reconnecting with my cousin after all these years but his chain smoking sitting next to me in a boat is not something I will consider doing again.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, ya have to be thankful that ya caught some fish...:thumbsup
Sorry it wasn't as good as hoped for.....I sunk a boat and motor in a portion of the Stones River on a fishing trip and the motor went under and we had to float and stroke over 3 miles to get back to the ramp.....that was 1 heck of a day....I tell ya!!....:)

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry that the fishing trip didn’t pan out quite the way you hoped. Hoping there’s at least enough to make it worth your time to heat the skillet.

Catching up. Can’t wait to see what Maxwell does for your herd. He’s a handsome boy and looks like he might give you some color variation to boot.

I’d like to purchase a lamb or half or something to try cooking. I’ll have to talk to DH and see what he thinks. I’ll let you know.

Too bad Lance can’t have more fun. We could have used him in this mud when we were sorting. Our Aussies don’t have any training when it comes to herding. If I had the time, I’d put them through their paces. Just don’t have any to spare.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A boat ride across open water at 25* is usually not something people think about. If you think it's cold, get in that boat and you'll learn a thing or two about COLD! Back when I fished a lot, I'd turn my coat backwards when the boat motor started. It kept the wind from finding a way around the buttons, LOL.

Sitting next to a chain smoker for a non smoker is a failed lesson on how to stop breathing and not pass out due to lack of oxygen.

Hope you got to bring some fillets home.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wanted Teresa to get some action shots of Lance working but unfortunately, the only one that turned out shows him down and holding the sheep in a corner. That pasture is our neighbors and most of it isn't fenced either perimeter or interior. I cut the grass and often bag it up and take it to the sheep when the grass isn't really actively growing. It's easier to just open the gate and call them out and the graze happily as long as I keep Lance up the hill. He doesn't get much work since they run for the open gate as soon as he heads their way.

20190317_142751.jpg

Latest posts