Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa and I just went down to the shop stall and called all of the sheep in so we could do the final drench with Corid for the 6 ewes that had scours and to give the first of 3 Penicillin shots for the ewe lamb with the swollen stifle joints.

I came across the first negative to the low carb life style we have adopted. I've lost 35 pounds and some of our largest ewes are about all I can do to control if they decide they don't want to be caught. The long Shepherds Crook still let me use leverage on our bigger girls but it's about all I can do to hang on to Wild Thang and her sibling (just like the other day). Being the wildest, they are the last to get caught every time and the fact that most of the girls don't care when I enter their space, those two can't get away since they have no movement.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
May work better by targeting them first....get the jump on them....and then do the rest.......that way they can't see it coming and work up the anxiety level.....I had to do that with the goats....always had to catch Lightning first, cause he was the hardest to catch....especially if he had fore warning.....:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Parasites

We pulled fecals on all 20 of the senior ewes this afternoon. Teresa did the analysis on 6 of the ewes that had the highest parasite load over the last year. 4 of the 6 had zero eggs today and those four had a decreasing egg count over the last 3 times we pulled fecal samples. The paddocks these girls are in have had no special treatment since I sprayed nitrogen late last summer. Those 4 have not received a wormer since August 2018 and the only treatment has been the garlic drench once a month. The other two have also decreased down to the acceptable level but both of them had been wormed in February.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just now caught back up. Regarding

I had planned on running water to both paddocks but there is ledge rock between them both

did you see my posting on Mr. @Bruce's journal about small charges to clear out rock? (If you didn't, see https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/bruces-journal.34651/page-250#post-608336) You may have so much ledge that what I posted may not work, but if you have only a small amount, maybe it is something you can consider.

Senile Texas Aggie

Latest posts