Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I started early this morning to beat the heat but wound up doing today what was planned for tomorrow. I sprayed the gravel drive and all of the interior and perimeter fence lines and cut the grass in the lanes around the fences. To get ready for the contractor (on Wednesday hopefully) we broke down our handling chute and removed about 20' of fence around the stalls that is in the way.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was air conditioning time until I went out to feed Maisy. I noticed one of the lambs was under the low hot wire so obviously it wasn't hot. This is telling on myself but I can blame it on Teresa. I spent the next half hour looking for a break or short in the wire and finally went back to the house to get some water. I told Teresa the fences weren't hot and she told me she had unplugged it for a short while so she could change some wiring. I went back out to check again and the digital tester was showing nothing but would put up some zeros then fade to no reading at all.

I went down to the charger and could hear it cycling but it was not showing a read-out on the tester. I had one of the "light comes on" moments and went up to the shed to get the tester that we first bought and it was showing a power reading. I put a fresh battery in the Zareba tester and checked the fence and it was hot. Evidently Teresa had unplugged the charger about the time the lamb was touching the wire and the tester needing a battery cost me a little sweat but all is good now.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just got a 3 joule charger, look out Mr. Smart Alec Trip.

You are not having any luck with that Bradford pear are you? Maybe rethink that tree and plant something else. Ringo is adjusting well, he does seek out the cooling shade now. Yesterday I walked through the woods, pulling down tree branches for him and the girls. They strip the leaves and young twigs, I let go and the branch springs back up to grow again. He loves sassafras, young oak leaves, cedar, not so much on elm. The girls love it all. He learned real quick to follow me to the next tree.

Latest posts