Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been working both the Aussie and the Border Collie every other week and have been mostly pleased with their progress. The Aussie is ready to work but it looks like she will always be used for close in work. She comes from a cattle herding line so that isn't surprising. The Border Collie is going to be excellent if we can keep learning as fast as he is. We had him working on a long line a couple of times last month but he is too young to be doing much of that. We just want to do enough now to keep him stimulated while still making each time a learning experience. He is a really strong willed dog but they are also so soft at the same time. He is only 5 months old and at the stage where he is trying to be the alpha so we are working on that as well as getting him to work the sheep rather than chasing them.

We will keep him at the small pen till he settles down a bit and is more receptive to the flanking commands. Keena (our friend and mentor) is working him more than us now since she anticipates their actions better than us. This picture doesn't show much detail but I like posting their pictures. ;)
Lance round pen 2 Nov 21 2015.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks - I saw an article in our local paper the other day. There has been a lot of talk about them being around but the state Wildlife Resources folks have always said no way. Those counties are an hour north of us and the terrain is ideal for them so we shall see. Some good may come of them since we are way over populated with deer. Black bears have been moving in lately also so yes - we will be looking for a couple of LGDs. :)

This picture was at the edge of the pasture right behind our house last year.

deer herd closeup Nov 2014.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are cougars in southeast Texas. I was camping with my dog once and a cougar started yowling, my poor dog tried to climb under my skin, she was so scared! :lol: Since moving to the Tyler area, I don't know what the cougar population is, but since there is lots of rural lands and wilderness, I see no reason why cougars would not be here. Prime habitat for them.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've got cougars down here too (south of Houston) Seen them and heard them. Thankfully, they inhabit the areas around the bayous and we've not seen them in close proximity to my place.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You aren't going to breed any more are you?

The plan for now is to raise up other people's pups.
We have a team going but the folks actually need (will need after expansion) 2 more so we will probably raise their future pups for the first year.

Eventually I will get another Anatolian and maybe do a litter... but not planning on that til we move.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
isn't it interesting that both the states of Arkansas and Oklahoma deny that there are mountain lions around here. my friend kat had a large feline that was tawny in color inside her horse barn, approx. 25 yards from her house. huge foot prints in the dirt and she saw it going up the mountain above her the next evening. now she has to carry her equalizer to the barn when she feeds. have had them turn up on trail cams within a mile of my house. both tawny and black panther. glad they aren't around here or i would be worried. God bless big barky dogs.