1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Peachicks - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by Mike CHS, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Jun 27, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Is Teresa any better?

2. Jun 28, 2019
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

She is using ear drops and has some medication that has eased the sharp pain. She just has the annoying blockage now but it does seem to be getting better. And Thank You for asking.

3. Jun 28, 2019
    Mike CHS

We are rotating both groups of sheep today so I can worm the lamb that decided she wasn't going to be touched and then we will move both groups to a fresh paddock so we can let the cows and the ram follow up the sheep. I'm hoping to be able to separate the ram lambs in the next week or so along with two wethers. The ram we named Percy is getting huge but so far is showing no signs of any aggressive ram like behavior. I may change his name to Ringo2 since he acts just like his sire and his dame is one of the registered ewes that will walk up to me and raise her head up high. She will just stare at me until I make eye contact then she will lay her head against me for petting.

I had Lance waiting in the field in case any of the sheep decided not to cooperate but the move only involved opening gates and calling them. I went ahead and took him in to work the lambs for a few minutes just to keep his confidence up. He got to the point that not giving him time with the sheep was causing him to be more aggressive than normal so I make sure he gets a little time on the sheep every time I take him out.

4. Jun 28, 2019
    Mike CHS

We went to our vet the other day to get some meds and they have this cat who has never seen a stranger.

Cat at the vets.jpg

5. Jun 28, 2019
    Mike CHS

We just finished working the big group of sheep in the chute. Since we had to bring the whole herd in to worm the one lamb, we went ahead and worked them all through the chute so we could pull fecals on seven of the ewes that aren't getting back into as good condition as the rest. I have had to stop feeding the whole herd since so many of them are getting fat and we want to put the ram in with them next month. Summer breedings are iffy anyway and their being fat won't help any. I'm still smiling at working under cover even though it's 90 degrees.

6. Jun 28, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Running them all through the work area even though only a few really needed to be there probably gets them more used to it and for many, no discomfort!

7. Jun 28, 2019
    Mike CHS

They don't mind going in but they always get rewarded too. Accept for a couple of them, I can open the first gate on the chute and they will start filing in.

8. Jun 28, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I am glad that Teresa is doing a little better. I hope she continues to improve.

I bet both of you had a big smile, working sheep in the shade! That is a good picture of you and the cat. Who can resist a friendly cat? :)

9. Jun 29, 2019
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Herd Master

I hope Teresa feels good as new soon!

10. Jun 29, 2019
    Mike CHS

Thank you. She still has the blockage but no longer has any pain.