Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have froze a couple of one gallon bags of peaches so far and it looks like we need to pick the majority off of the tree that has the most. The branches looked like they were going to break so we put some two by fours under them to hold them up plus keep more of the fruit off of the ground. That mass of vines to the right of the tree is my melon bed trying to take over the yard.

Peach tree 11 July 2019.JPG

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That reminds me of cutting the "jubilee" vines when I'd cut the field...they would spread well beyond the CPs that surrounded it....and climbed it....we took what we wanted and let the others grow for bird "treats" the goats would eat some, but really didn't devour them....those little KCs never got tired of them....the chickens would only eat so much....loved growing them tho....and eating them.....:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had been leaving the inner stall open since the lambs liked the security but even though I clean it every morning they were starting to look filthy. After I fed them this morning I moved them into the squeeze chute and gave all of the dirtiest a hosing down before I let them back out. This isn't the first time so they take it pretty good and when I let them out I closed the stall gate. About a half hour ago when I looked out they were all in the little catch pen outside the bedroom window staring at the house. The next time I looked they had quit begging for another feeding and started playing around the dog house. I didn't have the camera at the time or I could have got a video. I saw one of the lambs looking out the door of the dog house and then it came out. Behind that one came another, and another and another. They reminded me of the circus clowns and the VW Bug where they start coming out and just keep on coming. :)

Lambs at dog house 14 July 2019.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our Barred Rock only hatched one egg out of the ten we put under her and that one didn't make it. We think she spent too much time off of the eggs since every time she hear the chicks in distress that the Buff Orpington hatched, she would come running to the rescue. It worked out as she is co-parenting the chicks that are with the Buff. The Buff doesn't seem to mind and her chicks responds as well to the Barred Rock as the Buff.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Co-parenting seems the way it goes here as well. Anais co-parented the 2015 chicks with Zorra and when Zorra kicked them to the curb at 8 weeks, Anais stuck with them for another month. Now Angel has kicked this year's group to the curb at just under 6 weeks. Hopefully Anais will hang with them another month or so. Makes it a lot easier for the littles to squeeze into their spot in the hierarchy if they have some protection.

There is one difference this time though. Zorra kept her group away from all the other hens the entire time and once Anais left them, they were a flock unto themselves for the longest time. Angel didn't separate from the existing flock. Of course with the fox attack necessitating the electronet "pen" there is a MUCH smaller area for the entire flock of 24. Not so easy to keep separate.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had been leaving the inner stall open since the lambs liked the security but even though I clean it every morning they were starting to look filthy. After I fed them this morning I moved them into the squeeze chute and gave all of the dirtiest a hosing down before I let them back out. This isn't the first time so they take it pretty good and when I let them out I closed the stall gate. About a half hour ago when I looked out they were all in the little catch pen outside the bedroom window staring at the house. The next time I looked they had quit begging for another feeding and started playing around the dog house. I didn't have the camera at the time or I could have got a video. I saw one of the lambs looking out the door of the dog house and then it came out. Behind that one came another, and another and another. They reminded me of the circus clowns and the VW Bug where they start coming out and just keep on coming. :)

View attachment 64312
I like the markings on the one staring at the camera :love so flashy!!