Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa was cleaning up our livestock log this morning. I don't want to jinx us but we are really pleased with how our girls are handling parasites here now. We have a good number that have extremely low egg counts that haven't been given a chemical wormer in over a year but they have all been given garlic concentrate whenever we bring them in to the handling chute.

I let the girls in to a paddock that has been idle for 4 months and they are happy. This is one of the paddocks that was seeded with the Deer Mix last year. I was happy to see a lot of Lespedeza and other plants from the mix that was coming in as new growth so it had reseeded. The grass is growing faster than the critters can eat it so I have been cutting small sections so the paddocks keep generating fresh growth.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It almost read like a garden mix. It has several types of grasses, turnips, brassicas, clovers, radishes and I don't remember what else. :)

We decided to take 32 ewes through the winter instead of 25. We were going to sell a couple of our original ewes but they aren't going anywhere. Even Wild Thang and her sister have calmed down and have consistently had big healthy twins. The biggest plus with those two is that they haven't needed worming in over a year and never got pulled down by nursing large twins. At the last check they both weighed right at 165 with no fat.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to take the camera out toward the sheep tomorrow. They are in a paddock now that I haven't cut for 4 months so it's taller than the sheep but they are eating higher than they have been (which is a good thing). I cut the paddock that they had been in today to generate some fresh growth as that one will be over seeded with rye grass next month.

We have an electric pole in the paddock that the cows are in due to be replaced but the power company hasn't been able to give me any info as to when. I told them that if we don't get at least one days notice, they won't be changing that pole.