Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I figure that we would have to lock up the LGDs in the kennel when using a herding dog with the sheep. We actually lock Bubba up now when working the sheep since he tries to help. Nothing like a 160 lb. "helper" running right behind your knees as you try to block a sheep, or cutting them off and turning the flock when you try to send them in a certain way. ( Idea! Lock up the grandchildren with the dogs next time we work the sheep?)

A friend that trains herding dogs warned me away from Border Collies (they are what she uses, competes with, and judges) because they are so focused on working. She said that with our small area the dog would have so little work to do that it would probably sneak out and work the sheep on it's own. We did have an Aussie that we trained (partially) and she was willing and did well. However, when the boys sold out of sheep and devoted their time to their dairy goat herd, she was retired. Great obedience and home guardian, however.

You have a lot more property and sheep work for your dog though, so maybe she doesn't get bored and try to work the sheep. On the other hand, if a herding dog tried to work the sheep by what is, in effect, chasing them back and forth the dog would probably be assassinated by our Anatolians. The trick would be to keep the herding dog way from the sheep and the LGDs except when you want to either practice with it, or need it to work. (On those occasions when we masochistically let our grandchildren work with us the dog could round up the sheep and the children!) LOL

How do you keep the Border Collie away from the LGDs and the sheep when she is not working?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only use the Border Collie to drive them when outside the fence and to hold them when I don't want them wandering off. The way we are set up we don't need to do an outrun. I rarely use them inside the paddocks since all I have to do to move the sheep is walk in and go to the gate I want them to go through, and they do. :) Neither of them get a lot of work but we have a training pen that is adjacent to the bigger paddocks so they aren't cooped up. The Aussie pays little attention to the sheep but the BC will sit there and stare for the longest time and if they move around their pens, he will try to herd them until he runs out of room.

Keeping everyone where I want them is not an issue since they can't get in together or with the sheep unless I open the gates and let them move. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is going to be a day to stay out of the wind. It isn't all that cold but it is in the 40's with a steady wind of 20 knots gusting into the 30's. I was going to cut some trees but the wind gets you from being comfortable until you bread out into a bit of sweat to then being chilled.

I'm going to run in to town and get a few things for dinner as I just found a Keto recipe that I want to try. If it turns out good, I'll post it to the recipe thread.

The pup is losing his puppy look fairly fast and :fl I haven't lost any more work shoes in quite awhile. His ears are standing erect more all of the time and he is growing like a weed. I'm going to miss this boy and especially his calm confident personality. I keep hoping the kids will decide they don't want to take him but that isn't likely to happen.

I did give Mel and Maisy a good grooming this morning after they ate. They are totally bonded but I found early on that I have to bring them in one at a time to groom since Maisy thinks she is the only one that should be brushed.

Solas1 1 Dec 2019.JPG

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is going to be a day to stay out of the wind. It isn't all that cold but it is in the 40's with a steady wind of 20 knots gusting into the 30's. I was going to cut some trees but the wind gets you from being comfortable until you bread out into a bit of sweat to then being chilled.

I completely understand, Mike. I had planned on finish notching the cross ties and assemble them for the frame of the bridge, but with the wind blowing like it is, I decided to wait until tomorrow. Brrrr...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
One year I cut out a tree from green wrapping paper and taped it to the wall. Then grand daughter #1 (and only at that time) and I cut out ornaments from construction paper and taped them to the tree. It got laughed at, but she and I liked it.

Tell Teresa that I love her tree and think she is brilliant.