Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let's try pictures again now that I have the right ones. :) The lambs are a ewe (white spotted) and ram (solid brown). These can be registered depending on how they grow out.

We are having a hard time narrowing down the cull list as our yearling ewes (13 of them) have some of the best confirmation of all of the sheep that we have raised here. Of course we culled 42 to keep this 13 ewes. We weighed all of the lambs the other day and most of the ram lambs are in the 45 - 55 pound range and at ideal market weight and the prices are good right now. At last weeks sale lambs this size were bringing $3.48 a pound.

Attachments

• Princess2 ewe 141 ram 142.jpg
    Princess2 ewe 141 ram 142.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Princess ewe 141 ram 142.jpg
    Princess ewe 141 ram 142.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 55

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What pretty lambs! Of course I know they have to pass your scrutiny, but for now, they are cute! A solid brown ram lamb, someone will want him!

One of the ewes I am going to cull had twins this morning, both rams. One of them is white, the other is brown, black and white, with a pink nose! Good thing it is a ram lamb, I'd be tempted to keep it if it was a ewe!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the ewes I am going to cull had twins this morning, both rams. One of them is white, the other is brown, black and white, with a pink nose! Good thing it is a ram lamb, I'd be tempted to keep it if it was a ewe!

There are several rams that I would be tempted to keep for later sale if we had about 10 more acres. :) This bunch of lambs is the best that we have had and of course our yearlings were the best before that. We are thinking about culling all of the older stock but we need to go over all of the other parameters first.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found out a whole new way to cause an injury several days ago. I kept the last couple of ewes and their lambs in a paddock with our yearling ewes since the lambs were so far behind the others in growth. I was giving the two ewes feed as a supplement out of a bucket a couple of times a day. They are tame enough that I figured I could deflect the other ewes from stopping one getting feed fairly easy but of course they proved me wrong again. One of the ewes was eating out of the bucket and the other started pushing on the bucket so hard that it cracked and somehow wound up capturing my hand in between the crack right above my hand and on both sides of the radius then kept pushing which caused it to get tighter (I think that's what it is but it has been 50 or so years since I had a human anatomy course). It tore he skin in several places but not severely and I never even thought about it until two days later I started getting some extreme pain in that same area.

I can't completely close that hand but it is getting better thanks to Epsom Salts. This one was a minor one but I never thought about a bucket putting me out of commission. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering just why you found it necessary to discover a new way to get injured? Like we all haven't already invented enough 😄
Hope it keeps improving.

It doesn't hurt bad but it made for what I thought would be a decent post about how we do silly things :) Thinking there would be no problem feeding two 150 pound ewes along with 13 full grown yearlings out of one bucket wasn't being too smart. :)