Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm with @Bruce on that, I am not a meatloaf fan either. We had it on occasion, it was a good way to make something other than hamburgers with ground beef and could be "extended " with bread crumbs and such and given a different flavor than burgers. But I just never was a fan and seldom ever made it once I moved down here. I would gladly eat just a "hamburger steak" broiled or pan fried than a piece of meatloaf. Oh well, there are people that love it... bless their hearts. I like stuffed peppers, but the pepper part doesn't seem to like me.... love the flavor so I make them and freeze them and have them to pull out occasionally and eat most of it and leave some of the pepper. Raw peppers like with a dip or in a salad are fine... crazy quirks.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We made another hay enclosure using cattle panels this afternoon. One of the two that we made originally works fine but the other one that I made didn't have the access holes large enough. They like the new one better and it has holes big enough that all of the sheep can get to the round bale. Using the panels has cut our hay waste down to about a third of what it was this year. We already had brought in 4 bales before we added the panels and have only bought 6 more total since then and 1 of those we just opened up today and the other still has a half bale left. At the most, we may have to get two more but that will only be to give the paddocks a chance to recover before turning the sheep out on them.

Last year we used 32 bales total but we had the cows then and over 50 adult sheep and 12 lambs on the hay. Right now we have 44 so my math didn't survive the cutting our numbers thing by very much.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spatchcocked chicken, it's what's for an early dinner.

Attachments

• Spatchcocked chicken 9 Mar 2021.JPG
    Spatchcocked chicken 9 Mar 2021.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 47

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was help clean up property today but not ours. The friend that used to have the kennel that Teresa worked for bought another property (25 acres) after she sold the kennel and the previous long time owner had been a pack rat. The house on the property is solid although in need of a lot of work so she is going to basically gut it and turn it into a barn. There is another smaller building that she is going to tear down and there is a new barn and several acres that are fenced that she will use for goats and sheep. She wants to buy 3 or 4 bred ewes later this year and in the mean time, we are going to run our ram lambs on her place to keep the grass down until she is ready for the ewes and we will have a better idea if the rams will be worthy of registsration.

The Black Vultures are getting brave again so when I thought about it, my kill Permit expires at the end of this month and I had forgotten to submit the permit application for 2021 so I got that done also.

Latest posts