Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a bird visit a couple of days ago that neither of us had ever seen before. According to what we read they do live in Tennessee but we haven't seen any. I had never even heard of a Norther Flicker but here she is.

Attachments

• Northern Flicker1.JPG
    Northern Flicker1.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 71
  • Northern Flicker2.JPG
    Northern Flicker2.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Northern Flicker3.JPG
    Northern Flicker3.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 64

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a pretty bird. Do y'all have a bird feeder or did she just show up and hang out in the yard? We enjoy watching the birds that come to our feeder. BJ's favorite is a woodpecker that comes for the sunflower seeds.

She just showed up so we are guessing she was just passing through as we haven't seen her since.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought the sheep in to give them garlic drench and get blood from the two ram lambs that are leaving Friday. One of our yearling ewes decided she didn't want to be messed with and fought like hell to make sure she didn't step on the scale. I got behind her to push her on it and she literally jumped out of the chute from a flat footed stance and then started jumping out in the work area. We finally got her done but she is one of those that reminds you how dangerous these critters can be. Of course it started raining as soon as we got started which made us really appreciate the roof that we added over the handling area.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does this put the wildcat ewe on the cull list or does she get another chance? LOL I have one that is hard to work and it just so happens she is on the goodbye list.

She has everything going for her so I will forgive a female hormone moment. She has been really calm until today so who knows what is going on,

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of up have a bad day once in awhile. LOL

A couple with 2 kids came out yesterday for the kids to feed the bottle lambs. They had a blast and they all fell in love with the sheep. They bought 16 acres a few miles from us and are going to build a house. They want sheep to keep the ag exemption but have never been around sheep. They were enchanted. The lambs and ewes wanted lots of petting and scratches, nudging their hands when they stopped. I gave them whole corn to hand feed and they laughed at the sheep tickling lips on their hands. I thought the Dad was going to kidnap Tiny the bottle lamb. She followed him wanting more scratches. It was a great introduction to sheep.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
When Teresa was locking the chickens up last night she saw a skunk heading toward the door on the coop. It then ran off but we will put traps out this evening to see if we can't catch it and get rid of it.

We had a tree come down during the wind the other night and fortunately it fell parallel with the fence on that side with no damage to it. I got it cut up today but had to be careful getting since part of the branches was leaning of a Locust tree full of thorns. I loaded them up last to make sure they stayed separate.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I opened the pork packages, the first thing I thought was that that pig must have been related to Wilbur.
They do look sort of huge.

According to what we read they do live in Tennessee but we haven't seen any.
The first time I saw one up here was about 35 years ago. It was on a tree trunk with that bright red patch really obvious. Had a HECK of a time finding out what it was because the picture in the bird book barely shows the smallest bit of the red patch. Given how distinctive it is you would think they could do better. I've only seen a few since then so I'm not surprised you've not seen them, they appear to be somewhat prone to staying any from people I guess.