Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went down to Alabama to our feed store to get a load of feed. While we were there we stopped by a Taco Truck to get a bite to eat. This was the first time we had gotten anything there but every time we picked up feed there was always a line there. A plus to recommend the place was that it seemed most of the people we saw in line was mostly Hispanic so we assumed it would be authentic food. It was about as good as it gets in restaurants we had been in.

We had a buyer come by to look at our last ram lamb. He liked the ram will be picking him up in a couple of weeks.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This isn't the best picture but Teresa snapped a picture of the ram lambs just before they loaded them up to take them home. These folks have had sheep for 9 years so I wasn't too surprised when they showed up in a car to load the lambs in the back seat. :)

We took the picture more for our records since we had not taken a picture of them since they were born.

Attachments

• Ram lambs 134 and 148 sold 26 Mar 2021.jpg
    Ram lambs 134 and 148 sold 26 Mar 2021.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 92

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The sheep think they can hang out outside our living room window bawling and they might get more feed. Maisy has been staying with them while Mel stays on a higher spot in an adjacent field but since he was barking at the storm for most of last night, he has probably crashed over there. They have become a pretty good team and compliment each others style.

Attachments

• Maisy and her sheep1.JPG
    Maisy and her sheep1.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 93

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s so funny that the sheep have figured out what room you are in. When you look out the window, are they staring back at you? LOL

@farmerjan we have slowed down before to admire a pasture full of real nice cows before, and they all run to the fence. A local rancher has a siren on his truck. We always know when he is feeding his cows.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you manage to miss a good amount of the 7" of rain Nashville got? Surely you are close enough to have gotten a LOT of rain.

We got a little over 4" as the most intense parts moved along I-65 heading northeast. For most of the day we could see the storm line just a couple miles west of us.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I was out feeding Mel and Maisy, the sheep all came up for some back scratches and they stand there while I pull out loose clumps of their winter hair. Teresa came out and took some pictures of them. The first one is a ewe lamb that is still nursing and believe it or not, her mom is behind her in the picture.

The second ewe is one of the replacement lambs. She won't be in with the breeders this time as she is only 4 months old but looks much older.

The third is a January lamb but she is some nice eye candy.

The 4th is a big boned girl that makes just as big boned lambs. She is a two year old and has been recorded this year.

Last is one of our yearlings that will be bred for the first time this spring. We are planning on lambing in October/November this time hoping to beat some of the hottest temps while breeding.

Attachments

• lamb and mom 29 Mar 2021.jpg
    lamb and mom 29 Mar 2021.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Lamb1.jpg
    Lamb1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 63
  • lamb3.jpg
    lamb3.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 64
  • think 52.jpg
    think 52.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Yearling1.jpg
    Yearling1.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 65

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are some lovely girls. You and Teresa have done outstanding on your sheep. The lambs grow fast! I am excited to be taking half my flock to auction, even more excited by the ewe lambs I am keeping and can't wait to find the perfect registered ladies for Ringo. Is this going to be the first breeding for Cooper, the new ram?