Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mel is by no means dangerous but he's not the same dog he was not long ago. The lambs follow the dogs around all the time and if they are heading away, the dogs will follow. They have both gotten quite possessive of the ewe lambs so much more than the adults.

While I'm posting, here is a picture of three of my favorite ewe lambs out of this bunch. I must have asked Teresa a dozen times if she's sure we didn't get the ear tags sequence messed up. The two ewes with the brown and black have almost identical marking and they are not twins but they are always together. They were born on the same day so that may have some bearing on them being together all the time.

A chick picture just for grins. :)

Attachments

• Ewe Lambs 6 July 2021.jpg
    Ewe Lambs 6 July 2021.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Game hen and chicks 6 July 2021.jpg
    Game hen and chicks 6 July 2021.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 67

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thing of it is, he might be with strangers if they went into HIS paddock with HIS sheep..... I agree with @Mike CHS caution.... I thik he would be a big ole teddy bear too... but I would not go on the property without an introduction from @Mike CHS first.....
He IS a big old teddy bear :D

But I agree, ANY dog should get an introduction and a guardian dog could get very protective no matter how gentle it is with its people and their friends.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saw and heard something new to us today. One of the hens was making such a loud cackling in a distress type of noise that we thought something was in the chicken yard. Went in and saw that the hen with the chicks was not in sight (she was in the coop with three of the chicks) and the other three were outside and couldn't figure out how to get past a block that was outside the entrance which is also where the noisy hen was I guess trying to get the attention of the game hen. Went in and moved the block and the chicks went inside and the noisy hen immediately quieted down and walked off.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well they aren't always real smart ;)

When I had the chicken wire fence separating the brooder door side of the alley from the rest I would open it at night so when the older chickens could have full access to the run before I came down to open things up. "Opening" the fence meant curling the part that touched the stall coop back on itself. Many times the "intelligent" hens would get caught in the curl instead of just coming back through the opening.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got some pictures of the two ram lambs I’m holding onto for now. Star, the white ram looked the biggest and best, but got passed up by Snip, the black and white ram. It’s hard to get a good picture of Star because he walks to me to get petted. LOL He is a little wooly, his twin sister has a nice hair coat.

90D7FA96-1571-47DA-89BF-733DE298AC0C.jpeg

Snip grew off bigger and I think better conformation. His white hair is slick, the black hair has a little fuzz.

4745C34B-F622-4E64-95E9-A23444596AFA.jpeg

Both boys have Ringo’s personality.