Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are going to get cucumbers in a couple of days from our replacement plants. We have plant cover that we will use since we are within a couple of weeks from our first possible frost date.

I have been moving the sheep fairly quick through the paddocks and we should have enough stockpiled grass to take us well into December. I have spot sprayed some toxic weeds but other than that I have been pretty hands off. Last winter we only had to buy 10 large round bales and I expect less than that this winter since we have our numbers down.

The no longer feral kittens are giving me a lot of smiles and they keep leaving me dead mice at the lawn chair that I sit in when I'm down with them. Whiskey is literally tame and will sit on my lap and purr all of the time he is there. He may not be as content when we take him in to get him fixed. The dark tabby finally decided he was tired of body rubbing everything this afternoon without getting touched and made her move. I was hands on with Whisky and the dark tabby was doing her thing body rubbing on everything and she finally decided that her route to contact was to rub Whisky and then as she got close to my hand she went for it and put herself under my hand. It was nonstop contact after that until it started to get dark. :) The other two still come down but they don't appear to want any contact.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't grow cucumbers this year. Hope I have enough pickles to last me until next year!

Those feral kitties just didn't realize that Mom had a plan....... drop 'em off at Mike's place! :lol:

It is so dry here that the sand is a foot deep, dusty and dry. Thunder was rumbling in the distance. Trip was clawing at the window, telling me that he was scared. It stopped now. The rain probably went somewhere else. Maybe I'll get a nice surprise and get some rain overnight.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't grow cucumbers this year. Hope I have enough pickles to last me until next year!

Those feral kitties just didn't realize that Mom had a plan....... drop 'em off at Mike's place! :lol:

It is so dry here that the sand is a foot deep, dusty and dry. Thunder was rumbling in the distance. Trip was clawing at the window, telling me that he was scared. It stopped now. The rain probably went somewhere else. Maybe I'll get a nice surprise and get some rain overnight.

I had your kind of soil when lived in Florida for half of my adult life but I was fortunate enough to have a neighbor who provided me with an unlimited amount of composted horse manure so we did well. We have had our share of thunder and when that happens I don't bother taking out food since the dogs won't eat. They do tolerate a whole lot of grooming then though. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a few pictures of the kittens this evening while I was going down to pick up their food bowl. I was a little later than usual so they were already down the hill waiting on me. I was petting the dark tabby at the same time I was petting Whisky and he nipped at me when he got around close to where I had my hand on the other kitten. One of the white ones has started doing the body rub but she is still not ready for close contact. She will come down the hill when I'm down there but she will lay down and just watch.

Attachments

• Kits1 1 Oct 2021.JPG
    Kits1 1 Oct 2021.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Kits2 1 Oct 2021.JPG
    Kits2 1 Oct 2021.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Kits3 1 Oct 2021.JPG
    Kits3 1 Oct 2021.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Kits4 1 Oct 2021.JPG
    Kits4 1 Oct 2021.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 46

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish we had barn cats again. Found a dead baby rat in a water bucket in the barn. Also the ground squirrels are back. Saw one of them climbing the dead tomato plants. We stopped watering them when we had no tomatoes due to the squirrels. :smack :somad:rant

Rich soil doesn't matter when the creatures come for the produce. I am going to give in to the inevitable and research plants that ground squirrels won't eat! Just plant that type of shrubbery and be done with it! Or install more artificial grass and artificial shrubs too.