Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa told me earlier that I can sometime carry being frugal a bit too far. :) She made a broccoli salad earlier today that used quite a few green onions. I keep the bottom root portion that got cut off because I have a spot that I plant them. You can sometimes do that several times before they will bolt. I always get at least one regrowth and usually do it at least twice.
I do the same thing with my green onions, in a spot right outside my door. But it never occurred to me to pull up the whole onion when I use it and replant the bulb end again. I go out with scissors when I need any, and just snip off what I need. They keep growing and growing until winter kills them off. If it even does kill them off. I often get some coming back to life in the spring and during winter thaws.

I think pulling the whole plants and storing them in my fridge before winter is a good tip. I might get more use out of some of them.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This morning was taking care of small things to get the paddock the we use for lambing ready for lambs. I had one section of fence that is at a point in the middle of the line where rain water flows downhill from both directions and it has a tendency for erosion if I don't keep an eye on it. I hauled in fairly large rocks from around our place to fill it in and cover a gap in the middle. I used a piece of sheep and goat panel to bring that section down and mixed concrete to cover the rocks I put down and made it flush with the outside soil..

I put some Pork Butts on the smoker when I first got started working and they should be ready in a couple of hours. I just checked the temp and they just passed 165 so still a ways to go to burn off more of the fat. One of them is for a church lunch tomorrow but the rest will get pulled and vacuum sealed for meals down the road.

Attachments

• Pork shoulder 9 Oct 2021.JPG
    Pork shoulder 9 Oct 2021.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 55

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This morning was taking care of small things to get the paddock the we use for lambing ready for lambs. I had one section of fence that is at a point in the middle of the line where rain water flows downhill from both directions and it has a tendency for erosion if I don't keep an eye on it. I hauled in fairly large rocks from around our place to fill it in and cover a gap in the middle. I used a piece of sheep and goat panel to bring that section down and mixed concrete to cover the rocks I put down and made it flush with the outside soil..

I put some Pork Butts on the smoker when I first got started working and they should be ready in a couple of hours. I just checked the temp and they just passed 165 so still a ways to go to burn off more of the fat. One of them is for a church lunch tomorrow but the rest will get pulled and vacuum sealed for meals down the road.
We need an emoji for DROOLING over a post !!!!:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
A good bit of that pulled pork went for a lunch at the church. Tennessee is not known for liking a mustard BBQ sauce but I made up some of my recipe and like always all of those people that did not like that kind of sauce made it all get used up and it pretty much happens every time I make it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Amazing how people "don't like that kind" will scarf it down in a heartbeat. :hide :gigGlad that it went over well, except you will have to make up more just for your own use at home now....

I stuffed a chicken from the freezer and put it in the oven today. Extra stuffing in a pkg next to it. Then I went through some of the potatoes the neighbor brought as he said there were some of the Yukon Golds that had some bad places... I cut an awful lot of potatoes to make a big pot of mashed ones. The skins almost looked like they had frozen... they were discolored so I just made sure I peeled them down. Plus there were places in them that looked like they had been poked with a sharp tine from like a pitchfork, then healed around it. Never seen anything like that before. I'm not complaining but just odd. I've grown alot of potatoes over the years and it was just weird. Then I worked the bag of green beans they also gave me yesterday, and put a couple handfuls in to cook. The rest of the green beans I will blanche and put in the freezer... there will be a couple of meals. Alot of them had "rust" on them and I did pick around it. Does anyone know if the rust on beans, which is usually from picking when the plants are wet, tastes funny? I know mom always tossed them into the compost.

I'll trade you some chickens for some of that smoked pork ;)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you grow, then you know that either there was waste or chemicals to make the perfect examples to sell. Home growers cut out the bad spots to use what's good. Reduce waste, preserve our hard work, increase the harvest.

When I was a FL snowbird, I found the commercial farms donated a lot to food banks. Many opened their fields once the main harvest was over, allowing the public to glean the fields for smaller, less ripe product. Potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, etc.

Latest posts