Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lance is a working dog, not a show dog! Did he go out and roll in something as soon as you got home so he would smell right again?

This groomer does mostly working dogs so she doesn't use all of that smelly stuff or he would find something to roll in. The bandana was only for a picture. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did roll in something to get the smelly off. I can't stand that stuff either. Think I'd rather roll in the sheep barn than get spritzed by perfume. Me and Lance are together on that!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did finally work the main herd this morning. We did shots for the lambs and got weights on all that are in the paddock as well as pulled fecals on 6 of the ewes. The lambs are putting on an average of 10 pounds a week but they are on creep feed plus they are all still nursing.

We didn't take a lot of pictures but we were more into getting it done rather than looking. The ram lamb in the second picture was born Nov 23 so he is under 6 weeks old but he was huge when he lambed. The #150 lamb in the last picture is 56 pounds today and he was born 9 Nov. 150 and 160 are the biggest lambs in with a bunch of ewe lambs. The third picture is Teresa walking among the lambs to see which lamb has the mixed up ear tags. :)

Attachments

• 150 56 lbs and 160 28 Dec 2021.JPG
    150 56 lbs and 160 28 Dec 2021.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 160 ram lamb born Nov 23_46lbs worked 28 Dec 2021.JPG
    160 ram lamb born Nov 23_46lbs worked 28 Dec 2021.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Looking for ear tag 28 Dec 2021.JPG
    Looking for ear tag 28 Dec 2021.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 55
  • ram lamb 150_56 lbs_born Nov 9 2021 worked 28 dec 2021.JPG
    ram lamb 150_56 lbs_born Nov 9 2021 worked 28 dec 2021.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 61

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! Super nice lambs! That’s what y’all have been working towards. I’d call that a huge success.

Wanna hear something funny? That last registered ewe I bought is kinda small. My half Ringo, half Miranda commercial young ewes look better than that registered ewe does. Granddaughters named her April. She looks like an April. Ringo thinks so too. LOL We’ll see what she produces.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We let the sheep back into the handling area and wormed the few that needed it and pulled fecals from those we didn't get yesterday. I need to figure out a way to do a quick video on how the sheep help us work them. We leave the gates open leading to the chute and also leave the sliding gate at the chute open. We run a couple of sheep in and have the trusty bucket in sight so the ewes will come in and stand at the exit gate where we do whatever needs to be done. Of course the lambs come in with them and it only took us an hour to run 40 plus sheep through and we managed not to forget to change the ear tag on the one we mixed up the numbers the other day.

Handling them at fairly close intervals lets us get it done and nobody gets stressed out. It also lets us get some good hands on the ewes to see how their condition is under their thick winter coats so we can build our cull list.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
People think we are crazy to work our cattle through the barn as much as we do, and to get them to come into the catch pens for grain and all...and to trailer them to and from other pastures. But like you, in a bigger "way" we have them so that they can be worked without alot of upset and stress. They don't see us as the bad guys so much because of giving grain for "good behavior" and coming to us when we call them. They also are pretty good about getting on the trailer to go somewhere. And we don't do it just when we want them, but also when we are just going in the fields so they don't think of us as always the "big bad experience"...
You make good time with working them through your system. And hands on keeps you up on things before they become a problem.
Did the other ones.... maybe 3?..... ever lamb? Will that be grounds for culling since they did not breed or will they get another chance?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are still three that haven't lambed but they still have a few more days. They all have good histories and won't be culled. This is the first time we have had any that didn't get breed but it isn't uncommon with summer breeders and we know of several. We still haven't decided on which of the yearlings will be replacements yet.