Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The cats have been fun to watch get comfortable. I'm not sure why but none of the four have any fear of Lance or Sassy. When the dogs come back from the yard, the cats will run out to the edge of the concrete and wait for them to come by. Whisky will run at them like he wants to play but the dogs don't know how to do that. I got a laugh this afternoon when the dogs were coming back to the house but I wasn't close so they had to wait for me to open it. Whisky was doing his body rub on my legs as I was walking to the door and when I got to the dogs, Whisky switched his body rub to Sassy. The way she jumped up and away was another of those "I wish I had a camera" moments. :)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I register all ewe lambs except those with obvious flaws - large color spots, extra teats, etc. Then I cull again at 6 months, and again before breeding the yearlings. Then I cull any ewes that I don't like after the first year or so depending on shed, etc. Registration is only $10 if you register before 6 months so I find it easier to just register everyone after every lambing period. Since I have fewer ewes breeding, and breed all year round, it works for me.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is nasty outside. I went down and opened the stall and turned on the heat lamps. The sheep can handle the cold but it's 8 degrees and the wind is blowing so they at least have the choice to get out of the wind and have a little bit of warmth.

Only the lambs are under the heat lamps now plus Mel is taking advantage of the lamps and the ewes are on the fringe. They always like being in the stall since that's where they get their feed in the mornings and if they were like the current crop of humans, that would be considered their safe space.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s nice for them to have a snug warm place to get out of the wind. 8 degrees is cold, even if you are wearing a leather and wool coat. I can just visualize Mel soaking up the warmth from the heat lamps.

My sheep barn is a lean to off the side of a portable building. It’s open on 3 sides, the emphasis placed on being cool in the scorching summer. Last winter’s storm and -6F degrees had me out there putting up cardboard to block the wind.