Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This half was from one of the steers. The cuts that we tried had an off taste to them not to mention even the steaks I'm pretty sure didn't come from our beef just based on their size. The families that got the other haves say theirs are fine but they are the types that even if something was wrong they wouldn't say. The dogs are happy that we don't like it though. :)

Both of the steers were under two years old.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sorry for you that the half was probably not from your own animal. There are too many of different butchers that are not as honest as they should be. One of the reasons we were so disappointed when our local and much preferred place was getting to where we could not even get scheduled year to year...due to taking on more and more other clients.... I hope that we have got that somewhat straightened out with them for at least next year.
Wish you were closer so you could get some of our beef. @Mini Horses got some from me at the poultry swap and I think she likes it. ;)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing I try to do is keep things in a freezer ; by the year..... obviously easier to use up the oldest stuff first. And with vacuum packaging, things keep longer than what they would ordinarily be kept if paper wrapped. Then I use small cardboard boxes that fit on the shelves, and use it to divide and organize. They don't stack, so are straight up and down....and they can get trashed when they get crummy... write on the face with a sharpie....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The plastic bins are great, there are sites you can actually buy baskets or something to use in the freezer. The only thing I dislike about anything that is stackable is the bottom is smaller than the top so you lose a little storage in the bottom, and there are "spaces" between the bins. That is just my little "quirk". I have some old freezer baskets from some chest freezers, and can use some of them in the uprights too.