Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
After we got everything done this morning we hopped in the car and went down to Huntsville to see a gun show. I wasn't impressed and the prices were goofy high. I saw quite a few long guns that they were trying to sell for double what I paid for the same model. The only thing we bought was an RFID blocking wallet for me and Teresa got the same in a waist band for when she goes out to Reno to see family in December.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it was @animalmom that had a thread a few days ago about dehydrators. I was putting together the ingredients for some lamb stew this afternoon and the celery we had in the fridge was turning bad. I remembered we had a bunch in the pantry that we dehydrated before we moved here so I re-hydrated some to check it out and it still tastes as good as fresh.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We eat a lot of lamb stews and we also like variety so I have a lot of recipes. One of my favorites is what we made today and it's good enough that I'm posting the recipe. This recipe also works for venison and beef so would probably work for goat

We use a pressure cooker and brown the meat and add everything to the cooker and cook for 25 minutes. The recipe would be way to much for us so we used 1/2 pound of lamb and a couple of potatoes cut up plus we only used 3 cups of liquid and could have used less but we like the broth with some Red Lobster biscuits.

Lamb Stew

Ingredients

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lb. lamb shoulder roast, cubed into 1" pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
2 stalks celery, chopped (MM I used dehydrated celery since we didn't have any fresh)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. tomato paste
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
6 c. low-sodium beef broth
1 c. red wine
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves
2 lb. baby potatoes, halved
1/4 c. freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

Directions
  1. Cooking with a pressure cooker or Insta-Pot takes 20-25 minutes. In a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add lamb and cook on all sides until seared, 10 minutes, working in batches if necessary. Transfer to a plate.
  2. In the same pot, cook onion, carrots, and celery until soft, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic, tomato paste, cumin, and paprika and cook until garlic is fragrant and tomato paste has darkened, 2 minutes.
  3. Add lamb back to dutch oven then add broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, and bay leaves.
  4. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer until lamb is tender, 45 minutes.
  5. Add potatoes and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender and stew has thickened, 30 minutes.
  6. Remove bay leaves and rosemary and garnish with parsley before serving.
Lamb Stew 21 Oct 2019.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts