Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We let all of our relatives know that our dogs are always part of the family and they seem to accept that. This is pretty typical of the layout in the evening. :)

Attachments

• End of the day 9 Nov 2019.JPG
    End of the day 9 Nov 2019.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 201

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our sheep have always been picky when it comes to eating hay even when there is very little else available to them. This winter though we have a different source and they started in when we put it in three days ago and I don't think they have stopped except to lay down for a break.

Sheep on hay 11 Nov 2019.JPG
Sheep on hay2 11 Nov 2019.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That ought to make you feel pretty good. They are telling you that this is good hay. Of course, they were telling you that the other hay was pretty lousy.... ARE YOU LISTENING? :lol:

A few times I have ran out of feed over the 23 years that we have had Joe, my heart horse. I substituted another feed until I could get to the feed store of their preferred feed, which was an hour away. In my defense, sometimes i'd go to get feed and they were out. I'd pour his substitute feed out, he'd sniff it, lay his ears back and give me a go to he!! look and walk away. Joe has much better communication skills than your picky ewes. :yesss:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a great diversity of grasses. No wonder they like it so much. Maybe you will get seed in your pastures from the hay bales.

That's what we are hoping for. The paddock they are in now has mostly the Red River Crab Grass and the native grasses which is still coming back in spite of the cold and the pressure of treating it like a dry lot. He only charges us $40 a large bale and that is delivered.