Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
After almost 7 years in Tennessee we still find it pleasant and simple in the few dealings we have with government agencies. Our state Tax Exempt Certificate expires in a couple of months and we had been looking into what we need to do to renew it. Coiincidentally, a letter arrived today from the state that contains our new certificate for the next three years, a copy of the approval that they sent to our country to continue us as Green Zone and a bunch of card sized copies to give to the merchants that we do business with. They included a copy of the submission form that they automatically submit for us when it was due. We didn't realize until now that you have to opt out of the program to be taken off the roles.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here in Va we fill out an app with each business the first time we do business with them. It stays on file at each of the businesses for "eternity" and we never have to do it again at that same business. Any time we go to a new place, we have to fill it out with that business. It is up to the business to keep that on file. You just have to tell some of them that you are tax exempt if they are not into real modern computer systems. Well, I even have to tell TSC that I am tax exempt, then it prints out a form that you have to sign saying you are tax exempt and all that "under perjury of the law" stuff..... in other words, you are not lying about it. But some places it will automatically come up....

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to find out what it takes to become tax exempt. Somehow I don't think being senile is enough...

You should be able to call your county or maybe your Extension Agent. Ours is pretty easy to meet, you have to have a minimum of 15 acres for green belt (tax reduction) and for tax exemption you have to show a gross income of at least $1500 and there is no minimum acreage requirement for that.

I haven't used my shop machines much for the last several months but I was processing some rough Ash lumber for a project and found my joiner all stopped up somehow. On my machine I have to just about totally break it down to get to the dust collection area so I didn't get done what I wanted to do.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a bummer, what was clogging it?

One of the neighbors was the last to use it and I didn't check after he got done so it's my bad. I don't know for sure but I have a feeling he didn't turn on the dust collector since he was only running a couple of pieces. I at first thought it might have been a mouse nest but there's no way for them to get into that part of the machine and the hoses are always attached both ways.