Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went from no grass to cutting grass for a couple of hours yesterday. I set seeds for our tomato and bell pepper plants and will leave them on the porch till transplanting time.

I have another 100 pounds of pasture blend grass seed to put out after I move the sheep this morning and then we will bring them in Monday to work on a few and see if any need sorting out. The market in Columbia is surprisingly bringing better prices than in a long time so we will plan on taking the oldest lambs in sometime next week as well as some yearling ewes that are needing culled.

The grass seed that I broadcast last week is coming in well and there is enough grass on the neighbors property that I can cut and bag to give the new grass another couple of weeks to grow.

I got about half of the Roundup applied yesterday on the driveway till the sprayer started getting clogged up. I had a DUH moment when I finally figured it out so I'll finish spraying today.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if that is due to people stocking up on everything because of the virus.

I haven't talked to anyone there but I'm guessing based on the market report, it may be more of a demand issue since the sheep sold was about 1/4 of what it usually is.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We made an early run to Kroger this morning since we were out of produce and a few other things. The period from 7-8 AM is set aside for first responders, medical personnel and seniors. There was 3 other shoppers in the store by the time we got out of it. Lewisburg is a ghost town so evidently people are taking this virus seriously.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are taking the corona virus pretty seriously. We sure don't want it and are doing our best to avoid it. We only go out when we need something and since we are stocked up on practically everything, we don't go anywhere much.

I just tried to post this, but we are having a storm, so the TV satellite is off and so is the internet. Eh. The rain is coming down hard. the last storm burst we had, we couldn't see the end of the driveway at the road. It was like a white out. We were going to work in the garden tomorrow, but something tells me that we may have to find something else to do. LOL There are three big dogs sprawled out in the floor. Trip, Sentry and Carson. Paris is outside in her doghouse. She never comes in, I've tried to bring her inside, but she gets upset and wants out. She is scared of thunder, her doghouse is her safe place. The TV just came back on, I'll see if this will post now. The joys of satellite internet.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was the first time we had gone anywhere other than the feed store and we wouldn't have gone to the grocery if it wasn't for a restricted presence.

Several days ago we had a tornado warning in affect and the thunder ahead of it was like a machine gun. One big batch of thunder happened all at once and it must have scared Maisy enough that she either jumped the netting or ran under the poly rope but either way I could see her frantically running in the paddock adjacent to the sheep trying to find an entrance to get back in. The TV weather showed that I had 20 minutes before the storm hit Cornersville (our town) so I went out and let her back in with the sheep. She has more expressions than any other dog that I have had and it was Total Relief in this case. The tornado lifted back off so all we had was a lot of noise and wet.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I posted this picture on Facebook earlier but the view is out our living room window. It turned colder today but the grass is growing faster than even the large number of sheep on it can graze it down so we can get into some decent rotations. I still have the neighbors 2 acres that I can mow to feed them but I normally only get to use their grass into May. From then through the rest of summer, they just get their grass mowed for them but it still works for us as we normally don't have enough grass in March and April of our own so it lets us not over graze our paddocks.

Grass is coming in 31 Mar 2020.JPG