Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is actually neutral tasting until you start the process and the herbs and spices add a subtle taste unique to a gyro. We changed our mind after having it for dinner. The taste was good enough to make it again.

When you order gyro at Greek places, they thin shave it and it is almost like shaved steak but it is all ground meat compressed and then baked in our case. Restaurants usually have big blocks of the meat in a rotisserie. We used a similar recipe that uses the same spices so you get the taste but not the texture from the process. The sauce is good enough to about stand by itself.

Gyro meat rdy for oven.JPG
Gyro rdy to eat.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The recipe is at the link and if nothing else, use the spice blend on ground lamb and beef.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
And that’s one recipe that is being saved thank you! Very similar to a lamb doner kebab, some of my favorite food but I haven’t had it since I returned to the states. I will definitely be trying this.

It is worth the effort. We packed the meat as tight as we could and it held together great.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We worked on the sheep for a couple hours checking them out and cleaning up some feet. We gave 15 of the lambs their second round of CDT shots. We left them in the main paddock so we can bring them in and work a few more like that till we finish them up. We will band a couple of ram lambs either tomorrow or the next day that will be staying around for the freezer and the rest along with the culls will be going to the market in two weeks.